General comments / discussion about the tour .

• Official Post

I will add the individual threads for the various venues for the North American tour within the next few days in this subforum. Feel free to arrange meetings and then post your impressions after the show.

• The owner of a record stall I go to was telling me of a very unhappy punter who went to see Genesis and thought he deserved his money back. After paying over £100 he found out after or when he was there Phil's voice was not the same , and didn't even play the drums , it was his son , all completely different! Although the issues with Phil's voice and his disability has been pretty well publicised I guess not everyone would have known. We are a bit of bubble of Genesis fanatics and forget that some people just think " oh Genesis I like them" and get tickets without knowing what they are really buying tickets for.

• The owner of a record stall I go to was telling me of a very unhappy punter who went to see Genesis and thought he deserved his money back. After paying over £100 he found out after or when he was there Phil's voice was not the same , and didn't even play the drums , it was his son , all completely different! Although the issues with Phil's voice and his disability has been pretty well publicised I guess not everyone would have known. We are a bit of bubble of Genesis fanatics and forget that some people just think " oh Genesis I like them" and get tickets without knowing what they are really buying tickets for.

High-profile acts will always have a proportion of 'peripheral' gig-goers with that attitude of "Oh they're good aren't they, I'll go see them." Absolutely fair enough in my view. Ditto that this person seemingly hadn't taken on board the situation with Collins etc. Yes we are a sort of fan bubble, most if not all fansites will be, but even given there's been coverage of the tour and PC's health on national outlets there'll always be some who just don't pick up on this stuff.

Abandon all reason

• … Lucky me had the chance to see all the shows in United Kingdom due to the fact of travelling with a group of crazy people calling themselves The Gaylords.

Maybe some of you noticed the caravan with the big Trick Of The Tail image grafittied all over it. …

Currently,
    they bring it over to the US for the next dates.

😯 How would I go about meeting these Gaylords around November 20th?

• Official Post

Everybody who sees all shows is always invited to write a complete tour report for our website :)

• A very mixed bag in terms of quality of performance across different venues and different songs. All the luck in the world to whoever has the hospital pass job of producing/editing/mixing the live DVD for this tour.

Piecing together what looks on video like a single flawless performance ain't going to be an easy task.

• That's why they recorded the production pre tour ;)

True, but if they do release a DVD from this tour, I really hope it contains footage from the actual concerts, not just the rehearsal show.

On a separate but related note: I wonder if there's any video of the earlier rehearsals, including some of the songs they rehearsed that didn't make the set, like Abacab, Musical Box, Jesus He Knows Me

• A very mixed bag in terms of quality of performance across different venues and different songs. All the luck in the world to whoever has the hospital pass job of producing/editing/mixing the live DVD for this tour.

Piecing together what looks on video like a single flawless performance ain't going to be an easy task.

If they have recorded 4 or 5 shows, they should be fine. A mix of close ups, distance shots and crowd shots will make small inserts to cover the visuals, and overdubs can always fill in the odd audio gap.

If you want to see what is possible with limited resources, the 1970 Isle of Wight performance by the Moody Blues will be an eye opener. Of the 14 songs that exist in audio form (and are on the CD), mixed from 5 tracks, (2 of which contained nothing), only 10 appear on the DVD, and one of those, "The Sunset" excludes visuals of the band, showing instead the crowd and views of the sun as it was setting. The song was performed as the sun was setting, but there isn't even any certainty the crowd/sun shots are from the same night. However, Michael Lerner's film did not survive in it's entirety, so there are shots which are edited in to make a complete performance. In one of the songs, Justin Hayward appears to be playing 3 different guitars, some of them from quite a distance, so they don't seem so obvious. It's lucky all his guitars were red! :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• True, but if they do release a DVD from this tour, I really hope it contains footage from the actual concerts, not just the rehearsal show.

On a separate but related note: I wonder if there's any video of the earlier rehearsals, including some of the songs they rehearsed that didn't make the set, like Abacab, Musical Box, Jesus He Knows Me

Abacab and Jesus almost made the cut....we know that visuals were devised for both and the band have stated they *could* sot Abacab into the set if they wished. Those two may have been recorded in their entirety as part of the "rehearsal" performances.

Other stuff we believe was rehearsed and dropped earlier on such as The Musical Box and possibly Watcher...who knows if they did a couple of shaky dry runs and decided against continuing or if they persevered for a few days. If the latter, it's worth seeing. Watching Genesis stumble through an old classic for the first time in 30-40 years, however, is not something I want to see. I am sure the first rehearsals were ropey - they would be for any musicians.

• Anyone think they will bring in Abacab- maybe for just one or two shows? They have rehearsed it and there is video for it. They did do a couple of performances of Misunderstanding after all. It will be a shame if they don't as it is one of the truly great Genesis tracks and was always great live. I still have some hope...

• Anyone think they will bring in Abacab- maybe for just one or two shows? They have rehearsed it and there is video for it. They did do a couple of performances of Misunderstanding after all. It will be a shame if they don't as it is one of the truly great Genesis tracks and was always great live. I still have some hope...

I think if they haven't done it by now, it won't happen.

I know they wanted to limit instrumental parts because of Phil, so they could have done just the first part, but where would it fit in.

I think Phil is comfortable now, but let's see what Europe brings.

• I think if they haven't done it by now, it won't happen.

I know they wanted to limit instrumental parts because of Phil, so they could have done just the first part, but where would it fit in.

I think Phil is comfortable now, but let's see what Europe brings.

Yes you are probably right. It is a shame. Phil doesn't like the lyrics so I doubt they would just do the first part. I was thinking they could just do the instrumental bit, maybe instead of the opening duke suite, but as you say they are perhaps comfortable now with the set. Anyway, you never know, perhaps in March in Europe they will feel like changing the set a bit...

• I was thinking the same thing. Could you imagine Peter coming to the front of the stage for the encore signing "Can you tell me where my country lies?" then continuing to sing Carpet Crawlers with Phil as a duet? That would be the perfect end to the last show. I know it's unlikely, but we can dream...

• I'm wondering IF the London show's are the end, IF Peter Will make an onstage appearance in the encour especially for the last night?

I was thinking the same thing. Could you imagine Peter coming to the front of the stage for the encore signing "Can you tell me where my country lies?" then continuing to sing Carpet Crawlers with Phil as a duet? That would be the perfect end to the last show. I know it's unlikely, but we can dream...

I hope you get your dream too! 👍

If there is to be an official DVD/BluRay release for this tour, I’m sure it would be assembled from the last three shows in London. The scenario you hope for would be a perfect memento from the finale of the final tour.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I was thinking the same thing. Could you imagine Peter coming to the front of the stage for the encore signing "Can you tell me where my country lies?" then continuing to sing Carpet Crawlers with Phil as a duet? That would be the perfect end to the last show. I know it's unlikely, but we can dream...

Not sure why this sounds so far fetched? It's the end of the band and the last show is in their hometown. Gabriel and Hackett were critical parts o the first incarnation of the band. Why wouldn't they join for a 1-2 song encore? Gabriel sang the intro to DOWTMK in Edmonton 5 years ago and it sounded fantastic (way more emotional than when Phil sings it - sorry). Same for Hackett; he'd probably jump at the chance. I can understand their reticence in revisiting their '70s catalog in the '80s but 50 years later? Come on, give me a break!

• Joining for one song in one show after decades of absence is definitely something Peter would do. Not a tour, not even a whole concert, no, one song. Or actually, the final chorus in the closing song with him singing the ultimate line. I'd still celebrate him for that.