9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

GENESIS - Undertow
    Year: 1978
    Album: And Then There Were Three
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Banks
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 4:44
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford
    Played live: --
    Cover versions: ?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: Genesis usually performed as an equal trio after 1980. This was not the case in 1978, at least as far as songwriting was concerned. And Then There Were Three gave the impression of a Bank/Rutherford project in places. Many songs were written by Tony and Mike - like Undertow, which Tony contributed.
  • A strong track from an underpowered album. Tony is all over it but Phil sings well, especially as the lyrics- which I like a lot- are a bit of a mouthful at times. I miss Steve’s guitar on this but at the same time the band do sound well balanced and the dynamics shift nicely with the pace and mood of the song. So a good solid effort, with a melancholy, wintery, feel.

• I love that song. It has feeling, it has the classic rise and fall of Genesis at their best and it's served up in a very compact package. If Hackett was still in the band he could have added something extra and it would have benefited from backing singers instead of multitracking Phil's voice so for those reasons it's a 14 from me. However I think it's easily the best track on ATTWT.

• Not Tony's best. Too simplistic, shallow and corny. If Tony wanted to create a soft rock ballad he did a good job but after the genius he showed on the preceding two albums this is a disappointment.

• This is an album I generally dislike but with 4 strong songs, this being one. I'm not keen on the lyrics which are Banks on his way to being his most overbaked but it doesn't really matter when the music, the playing, the vocal melody are all so good and it's so well sung.

Elsewhere on the board I disagreed with someone saying the intended intro should have been included, which I think is what ended up as From The Undertow on TB's album. If that's really the case, I'm glad it was left off.

Abandon all reason

• I've always like this album, but as I get older I find myself listening to ATTW3 more and more, so I'm slightly sad that it is not particularly popular with fans.

Having said that...

Undertow is probably one of my least favourite songs on the album. Only because it feels slightly less memorable than many of the others. I'm not overly fond of Tony's Curious Feeling era, so it's probably why I'm less attracted to this song.

I think I gave it 10, but this is all relative of course. A Genesis 10/15 is a 14/15 for most other artists.

• Outstanding. I love this track, it's overwrought in the best way, surgically controlled abundance of emotion. The soft, unfocused production works in its favor as it sounds sonically abandoned which - I believe unintentionally - resonates positively with the intended mood. If it were made today it would probably not be as impactful at all. 15.

• Official Post

No Track of the Week for 8/14-8/20?

I am on holiday ;)

Next week back to normal