9. 07 points - satisfactory - (2) 6%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (2) 6%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

GENESIS - The Lady Lies

Year: 1978
    Album: And Then There Were Three
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Banks
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 6:08
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford
    Played live: 1978, 1980
    Cover versions: ?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: One of the many Banks compositions from the first "Trio" album, this song is unsurprisingly reminiscent of the somewhat displaced yet catchy melodies of the years before. This piece is always a little forgotten, which we would like to change here?

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• A good, condensed proggy track with a good set of lyrics by Tony.

It was even better live on the two tours it was played on with Phil's fun hero/villain intro, Mike's sterling bass work and Daryl's fast outro guitar.

One of the last fantasy songs (as discussed on another thread), it was placed perfectly in the running order as the penultimate track on the album before FYFM and the brave new world of Duke.

• 11 from me. I used to like this more several years ago, but it's still an enjoyable track and one of the better tracks on the album.

cheers

Christian

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Almost identical comment from me as from TheLawnmower. I used to really like this track when I was younger, particularly live, but now it's just annoying. It's another of those songs that Phil might describe as 'of its time' - a cheesy lyrical tale - but it hasn't aged well like their true epics. The lyrics are somewhat fromage-laden but the part the really grates on me is the instrumental section at the end. The musicianship might be great but the sound they produce is not, and that steadily climbing piano scale amongst the melee makes me wince. Perhaps its just because my hearing has changed with age, I don't know, but once upon a time this would have been about 13 for me and now I can't listen to it at all, so I'll average it out and say 7.

• Almost identical comment from me as from TheLawnmower. I used to really like this track when I was younger, particularly live, but now it's just annoying. It's another of those songs that Phil might describe as 'of its time' - a cheesy lyrical tale - but it hasn't aged well like their true epics. The lyrics are somewhat fromage-laden but the part the really grates on me is the instrumental section at the end. The musicianship might be great but the sound they produce is not, and that steadily climbing piano scale amongst the melee makes me wince. Perhaps its just because my hearing has changed with age, I don't know, but once upon a time this would have been about 13 for me and now I can't listen to it at all, so I'll average it out and say 7.

What you and lawnmower said.

Seeing it on stage a couple of times in 1980 it sounded good and oh look how funny Phil is jumping around and twirling an imaginary moustache. But then, I was 14. In that sense, it's very much in that category of 'Things I Thought Were Good Because You Know, I Was 14' which I'm happy to leave there.

(NB: there are some things I liked at 14 and still do).

Abandon all reason

• What you and lawnmower said.

Seeing it on stage a couple of times in 1980 it sounded good and oh look how funny Phil is jumping around and twirling an imaginary moustache. But then, I was 14. In that sense, it's very much in that category of 'Things I Thought Were Good Because You Know, I Was 14' which I'm happy to leave there.

(NB: there are some things I liked at 14 and still do).

I liked the way you put that! Bang on the money.

That’s a whole new thread in itself - things I liked at 14 but don’t now…

• One of my favorites on the ATTWT album. "Who can escape what he desires?" is one of my favorite Genesis lines. The live version on ARCHIVE 2 is a lot of fun.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• 11 for a good track. The live version is even better. Again and again we had these, well, interesting observations of how different us fans perceive songs. I can only speak for myself but I just can't get into the mindset of you guys who speak of too much musicianship in regards of this song. I respect your views but it is completely alien to me.

It was even better live on the two tours it was played on with Phil's fun hero/villain intro, Mike's sterling bass work and Daryl's fast outro guitar.

If I'm not wrong this was the only track off ATTW3 in which Daryl played guitar and Mike was on bass. I noticed this again when I was listening through the BBC box. It shows very clearly Daryl was a much better lead guitarist and Mike a much better bassist, a pity they would switch roles for most other new songs then.

• Tough to say how many points ... I'd say 12. I like this a lot but it's not "very good" for me.

If I'm not wrong this was the only track off ATTW3 in which Daryl played guitar and Mike was on bass. I noticed this again when I was listening through the BBC box. It shows very clearly Daryl was a much better lead guitarist and Mike a much better bassist, a pity they would switch roles for most other new songs then.

Have never noticed that. But then again, anything from 1978 onwards is Mike playing lead on the record anyway so this (and Jesus he knows me) are exceptions.

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• ... it's very much in that category of 'Things I Thought Were Good Because You Know, I Was 14' ...

I can relate in the sense that The Knife and Man Of Our Times were my favourite tracks from their respective albums when I first heard them. They're now either least or second-least favourites.

Actually, I find more often than not, my feelings move in the opposite direction where I've grown to appreciate tracks that I didn't care for as a teen.

"Excuse Me" is one from the Genesis camp that immediately comes to mind.

• I've never been a fan of this song and can understand the comments about it being annoying.

Have never noticed that. But then again, anything from 1978 onwards is Mike playing lead on the record anyway so this (and Jesus he knows me) are exceptions.

Not quite true. Daryl plays lead on Behind the Lines, It's Gonna Get Better, and a few others that I can't think of immediately.

• Not quite true. Daryl plays lead on Behind the Lines, It's Gonna Get Better, and a few others that I can't think of immediately.

Really? I never knew and find it very interesting. I thought everything on studio albums was just the band. Is it Daryl on Jesus He Knows Me too?

• Really? I never knew and find it very interesting. I thought everything on studio albums was just the band. Is it Daryl on Jesus He Knows Me too?

I think TheWestSide was saying MR carried his studio lead guitar parts through to the live renditions but DrJ pointed out this didn't apply at least to the tracks mentioned. Everything in the studio from 78 was definitely just the trio other than the phenix horns.

Abandon all reason

• 5 for me, I find it a bit uninspired and formulaic. the lyrics are anonymous, and the melody just falls flat for me. It's a Tony's song and I'm supposed to like it, I usually do but not in this case.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().