TotW 03/25/2024 - 03/31/2024: GENESIS - On The Shoreline

• I always play 'Feeding The Fire' when I play this song - for some reason my mind associates them together.

"She looks at me and gently smiles, as if she knew I'd ask her all the time..."

• I think the issue was that they thought We Can't Dance would be a too long album if they included these two. In fact Genesis recorded in '91 enough songs to make 2 albums the length of We Can't Dance. It is known that We Can't Dance 2 is kept within The Farm's vaults. What is more, it was considered at the time the possibility of releasing it as a follow-up afterwards.

• I think the issue was that they thought We Can't Dance would be a too long album if they included these two. In fact Genesis recorded in '91 enough songs to make 2 albums the length of We Can't Dance. It is known that We Can't Dance 2 is kept within The Farm's vaults. What is more, it was considered at the time the possibility of releasing it as a follow-up afterwards.

It can't be. We Can't Dance 2 is too bad of a name. They would have gone with something quippy like, We Still Can't, or Well, We Tried...

I hope not, cos the Farm has been sold now, so it might have gone in a skip! ^^

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• It can't be. We Can't Dance 2 is too bad of a name. They would have gone with something quippy like, We Still Can't, or Well, We Tried...

I heard the surplus album's worth of material was a bunch of uncharacteristically dirty spiky low-fi borderline scary stuff, recorded during late-night/small hours jams that became gradually more unhinged, in a sort of return to the Lamb sessions 'evil' jam. Somewhere there's a whole album that even long-time fans would have trouble recognising as Genesis, speculatively titled The Black Dance (some say it was The Devil's Dance, which I find unlikely). But it will never see any form of release, sadly.

Abandon all reason

• I heard the surplus album's worth of material was a bunch of uncharacteristically dirty spiky low-fi borderline scary stuff, recorded during late-night/small hours jams that became gradually more unhinged, in a sort of return to the Lamb sessions 'evil' jam. Somewhere there's a whole album that even long-time fans would have trouble recognising as Genesis, speculatively titled The Black Dance (some say it was The Devil's Dance, which I find unlikely). But it will never see any form of release, sadly.

April fool's day today, eh?

• Odd that while the repetition of the "elephant" sound effect is mentioned here, no-one has mentioned the repeat of the "can you hear me?" section of Driving the Last Spike? Surely a much stronger reason for leaving it off the album? The elephant noise repetition would have been fine left on the album - just a bit of tying together, thematically. But the DTLS repetition would have seemed like using the same idea twice - a bit lazy