Genesis in the media

• Also, the great, sadly late Geoffrey Perkins, who, among many other things, produced the Classic, Father Ted.

And of course was producer on the groundbreaking Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. His recollections of making that show are a joy to read and shows him being very upfront about how, as a young recently graduated producer, he didn't really know what he was doing. But writer Douglas Adams reassured him by admitting that he, too, had no idea either.

Abandon all reason

• Guy Garvey playing Entangled on his BBC 6Music show as I write this, he introduced it saying it was a favourite track from his childhood and means a lot to everyone in Elbow and he dedicated it to them.

GG again including Genesis in his show today, this time the Seconds Out version of Carpet Crawlers which he said he listened to incessantly when growing up, describing it as practically a "lullaby".

That his childhood memory is of the Seconds Out version was reflected in his twice referring to it as 'The Carpet Crawl' as per the bizarre SO mis-titling we've mentioned before on the forum.

Abandon all reason

• GG again including Genesis in his show today, this time the Seconds Out version of Carpet Crawlers which he said he listened to incessantly when growing up, describing it as practically a "lullaby".

That's really interesting. Pre-CD and mp3, I made a cassette of only that version of CC repeating over and over and used to fall asleep to it!

This is also interesting. Would like to know if SH pioneered the fretboard tapping technique.

• ry really interesting. Pre-CD and mp3, I made a cassette of only that version of CC repeating over and over and used to fall asleep to it!

This is also interesting. Would like to know if SH pioneered the fretboard tapping technique.

That's up for discussion. Was he doing it very early (especially in rock)? Yes. Examples are all over Nursery Cryme. Was he the first? No. Others used it before him. There are plenty of examples that you can find going back to Paganini lol. In rock, Canned Heat is often cited as an early example of tapping. Despite all of this, it is a fact that EVH attended the Genesis SEBTP shows at the Roxy in LA in late '73 and he also clearly acknowledged Steve's influence in this area. So there you have it....

• Funny short description of the Lamb on loudersound.com :

"The mother, father, brother and second cousin of all album concepts is the simple tale of a New York kid who is turned into a fly on a car windscreen (novel beginning), then heads off on an epic journey during which his best day includes getting a topless massage from a trio of snake-babes (who he later eats).

His worst involves being castrated (without an anaesthetic) and being forced to join a colony of ‘slippermen’ who carry their balls around their necks in plastic tubes. Definitely not one for The Bumper Book Of Bedtime Stories. The music, by the way, is brilliant."

• Funny short description of the Lamb on loudersound.com :

"The mother, father, brother and second cousin of all album concepts is the simple tale of a New York kid who is turned into a fly on a car windscreen (novel beginning), then heads off on an epic journey during which his best day includes getting a topless massage from a trio of snake-babes (who he later eats).

His worst involves being castrated (without an anaesthetic) and being forced to join a colony of ‘slippermen’ who carry their balls around their necks in plastic tubes. Definitely not one for The Bumper Book Of Bedtime Stories. The music, by the way, is brilliant."

Obviously, the writer for Loudersound.com is unfamiliar with metaphor. At no time is Rael turned into a fly.

• https://www.nme.com/news/music…-mistake-live-aid-3070870.

Jimmy Page still banging on about the disaster of the 3 song reunion 36 years ago. It really bugs me. PC has clearly been upset by it all and I have heard time and again how they shouldn't have done it. They.wouldn't allow the footage on the DVD. So what is what I say . What's the big deal? They weren't there only ones . It wasn't that bad. I saw it on you tube . Should've embraced the mistakes and had fun. 3 songs . Not there to pit on a show costing fans but to raise money. Most fans fans were thrilled just to see them together . And, their presence helped raise money for people literally starving. How much worse was it than Six Of The Best? There was a whole show with errors bit we loved it. If LZ had allowed their part to be on the DVD it would've sold more and raised more . I guess its not is much a genesis thing but as PC gets it in the neck time again I put it up.

• Came across this wonderful description of early Genesis by Chris Welch, in the book "The English Difference" from 1974. The book is a celebration of all that is unique about "Englishness", but is a bit more thoughtful and critical than that description might suggest.* And probably more thoughtful and critical than it would be if it were published today. (Also striking how much of what supposedly made England unique in 1974 no longer exists) -

"While a rock 'n' roll band might appear to the casual, disinterested observer as a disorganised bunch of incompetents, Genesis are the antithesis of this concept. Four of them are ex-public-school boys, while the fifth, their drummer, Phil Collins, is an East Ender. Here the two class structures meet with mutual benefit.

Their songs, expanded into long arrangements, give scope for exceptional use of dynamics, light and shade, key and time changes, and a wide range of instruments, powder flashes, and finally the wires and harness which whisk Peter Gabriel, their shy, stuttering but courageous leader into the roof at the climax of their show. Genesis have created a supra-musical entertainment without parallel in theatre or rock music."

*come to think of it, this is a pretty good description of Selling England by the Pound.

• I cannot believe Jimmy Page seriously blames Phil, even more so after this long time. The videos of the gig and the following interview is on youtube. Mr Jimmy Page must have been on more drugs than just drinks. Robert Plant did one of his worst performances. Phil and the other drummer did their very best to save the day.

This is the gig:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is the interview:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If you haven't seen it, brace yourself. Embarassing is a euphemism.

• I think Phil captured the spirit of the day perfectly and Zep did the opposite. Page was in no fit state and in the middle of a ropey (but not totally useless) band performance, Phil did what you would expect a hard working pro to do- he smiled, probably through gritted teeth, and kept a rock solid beat so that the others could do their thing if they were capable of it. The other drummer seemed to do well also and JPJ is always spot on as far as I know. I feel most sorry for JPJs in fact, who I think would turn up well prepared and then get caught up in a bit of a shambles. That said, it was an event, not a recital, it didn’t grind to a halt. If they were that bothered they should have put some work in and done another charity gig later on instead of carping on for years.

• Per Backdrifter's emoji, not only is Phil not an East Ender, he is from Hounslow, which is about as far from the East End as you can get in London. Neither is he 'working class'.

I find the description of Peter peculiar to say the least. :rolleyes:

• Came across this wonderful description of early Genesis by Chris Welch, in the book "The English Difference" from 1974. The book is a celebration of all that is unique about "Englishness", but is a bit more thoughtful and critical than that description might suggest.* And probably more thoughtful and critical than it would be if it were published today. (Also striking how much of what supposedly made England unique in 1974 no longer exists) -

"While a rock 'n' roll band might appear to the casual, disinterested observer as a disorganised bunch of incompetents, Genesis are the antithesis of this concept. Four of them are ex-public-school boys, while the fifth, their drummer, Phil Collins, is an East Ender. Here the two class structures meet with mutual benefit.

so, Phil wasn't an East Ender and it was only three, not four ex-public-school boys.
    Steve was a grammar school boy (and born nearer the East end than Phil was).