Your Favorite Band Outside of Genesis

• I heard them on the radio a few weeks ago and have been checking them out. Very interesting, and uncategorisable - I like that!

They are fantastic IMO! I highly recommend their albums Shiny Eyed Babies, Say So and Land Animal. I got to see them last Halloween with the bands Leprous and Haken (who were both good, but Bent Knee stole the show). Their song Black Tar Water is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

• It depends on the seasons, but these three compete with Genesis for my all-time favorite.

Rush

Yes

Toto

Yes was huge for me in the late 80's/90's. Toto might be my fav now (or tied with Genesis)

• Discovered this thread recommended at the bottom of the Kate bush thread and figured I'd revive it despite the message saying 'create a new thread'. As this fits the bill perfectly!

Favorite two bands outside of Genesis is easy; Smashing Pumpkins and Suede. But ask me to pick one favorite out of the three? Never. Gun to my head, I'd do Suede for Dog Man Star/Sci Fi Lullabies.

Have gone through phases of obsession with many, many other artists. The earlier commentary about lack of female artists among our favorites caught my eye. A lot of my favorite bands are male, but i feel drawn to strong female vocalists. Hence I made a separate list of female musicians I like, and it's longer than the non-female list.

Pink Floyd

The Cure

Nine Inch Nails

Placebo

Foals

Chevelle

Moby

Citizen Cope

Whipping Boy

Royksopp

Muse

Pixies/Frank Black

Rammstein

OutKast

Snoop Dogg

Meat Loaf

Warren Zevon

REM

David Bowie

Edit: Mike Oldfield

Edit: Dire Straits

Edit: Protomartyr (Can't believe I forgot them, Relatives In Descent is one of my all time favorite albums)

Female artists (I prefer many of these to the above ones):

The Cardigans

Brodie Dalle

Robyn

Austra

The Pierces

Ladyhawke

Anya Marina

Sharon Van Etten

Beach House

Meg Myers

Stef Chura

Lana Del Rey

La Roux

Garbage

Hole/Courtney Love

Lily Wood and the Prick

Lykke Li

Lissie

Phildel

Grimes

Etana

Basia Bulat

Agnes Obel

Edit: Charlotte Gainesburg

Edit: Cheryl Cole (and Girls Aloud including the tragically recently deceased Sarah Harding)

Edit: Madonna, I was obsessed around the time Ray of Light came out

There are dozens of others, I just love music.

• You mention Rammstein. Hubby discovered them a while back and loves them. It took me a while but a lot of their music is challenging in a good way, as is Till Lindemann's solo work.

I will add Jethro Tull to my list of favourite bands now. I am slowly getting the entire catalogue, just as I did with Genesis, The difference is I have seen Tull, back in 1994 I think.

• I will add Jethro Tull to my list of favourite bands now. I am slowly getting the entire catalogue, just as I did with Genesis, The difference is I have seen Tull, back in 1994 I think.

I envy your journey into the Tull catalogue. If I made a list I would guess they would be in my top 10 bands/artists. Love the band. For me their best album is Crest Of A Knave

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• If we stay in the "pop/rock" area, I have 3 bands/artists that are essential part of my life since my childhood :

Genesis

Neil Young (I discovered him first, at 5 or 6 years old)

Prince (I discovered him quite late, in 2011 at 18-19 years old, and the first thing that came to my mind was "How is it possible that I have missed that for so long ??)

Being a Genesis fan, I also love everything in their "area" :

Sting and The Police

Kate Bush

Pink Floyd

Supertramp

Alan Parsons Project

I'm into jazz and classical music too :

Debussy and Ravel (I was listening to their work before getting into Genesis, again as a child, and since both had a strong influence on Tony Banks, I understand why Wind and Wuthering had such an impact on me...)

Thelonious Monk

Miles Davis

Bill Evans

Keith Jarrett

• I envy your journey into the Tull catalogue. If I made a list I would guess they would be in my top 10 bands/artists. Love the band. For me their best album is Crest Of A Knave

I love Crest Of A Knave as well. Funny that FIC loves Dire Straits, because I've always felt that Crest Of A Knave sounded so much like Dire Straits. My favorite Tull album would be a tie between Thick As A Brick and Stand Up.

• My favorite Tull album would be a tie between Thick As A Brick and Stand Up.

Both good. I do like those early albums with their bluesy touches despite not being a blues fan, the style mixed with the nascent Tull sound made a nice combination. I'm quite a fan of Benefit too. Aqualung is obviously a key Tull album but I've always found it rather overrated and never really clicked with it.

Abandon all reason

• I love Crest Of A Knave as well. Funny that FIC loves Dire Straits, because I've always felt that Crest Of A Knave sounded so much like Dire Straits. My favorite Tull album would be a tie between Thick As A Brick and Stand Up.

Crest Of A Knave is one of the albums I still haven't got. I have heard that it does indeed sound like Dire Straits. Nothing wrong with that....

• Neil Young. I discovered him at university, along with Van Morrison, and I thought he was the ultimate for a very long time. I still think his best album is Rust Never Sleeps which is a superb mixture of the folksy singer songwriter and the Crazy Horse grunge. Overall I do prefer the singer songwriter stuff, because I found the grunge stuff became repetitive to the point of self parody.

• Camel

Twelfth Night

Genesis

Steve Hackett

IQ

Pendragon

Tangerine Dream

PFM

Nova(Italian band) with Phil Collins

Quaterna Requiem

Harmonium(Canadian Band)

Pineapple Thief

Porcupine Tree

• RUSH , The Tragically Hip , Max Webster , The Guess Who , YES , The Rolling Stones , The Beatles , The WHO , Pink Floyd , Led Zeppelin , Leonard Cohen , k. d. Lang , Sarah McLachlan , Jeff Healey [RIP] , Celine Dion , Shania Twain , Neil Young [born in Canada] , The Band [4 out of the 5 members where born in Canada including , Robbie Robertson ] , Peter Gabriel [solo] , Phil Collins 1st / 2 solo albums. Joni Mitchell , Jethro Tull , David Bowie and early Supertramp. AND many others.

• I envy your journey into the Tull catalogue. If I made a list I would guess they would be in my top 10 bands/artists. Love the band. For me their best album is Crest Of A Knave

New album, The Zealot Gene. First album of new material for over 20 years, I gather. Burning Shed are running a raffle entry where the winner gets a signed handwritten lyric sheet from Ian Anderson, personally dedicated to the winner.

Abandon all reason