THE MUSICAL BOX performs The Lamb Lies Down Broadway - Tour dates 2022 / 2023

• Saw them in Newcastle. We were probably in the highest seats I’ve ever been in in a theatre which meant we couldn’t see the screens but had a great view of the keyboards and drums. The sound of the instruments was superb- most of the vocals were muddy and quiet which spoilt it a bit but that was because of where we were sitting. I thought it was a great performance. The drummer got carried away and knocked a couple of cymbals over which halted the whole performance for a few minutes but that added to it in a way. I read somewhere that Denis feels too old to be running around topless and that’s fair enough. I know they don’t want to change anything about the performance so I respect the fact he doesn’t just stick a T shirt on but it’s a shame we won’t see this again. I guess if they do more extravaganzas they will do a lengthy Lamb stew but I’d like to think we haven’t seen the last of the props for the Lamia and Slipperman. All the musicians were spot on as usual but special mention to the superb drummer who I think also did amazing harmonies but I couldn’t hear them much. Good to be reminded that back in the Gabriel days they could still have a meaty, punchy sound.

• Saw the show at Hammersmith yesterday evening - very accomplished musicianship; goes without saying. My 7th TMB experience - these guys are the real deal.

The Lamb isn't my favourite album by any means, but they certainly did it justice.

• One last time to see TLLDOB in its entirety in suburban Philadelphia at the Keswick Theater tonight! I’m looking forward to it! 😎

However, it is a bit of an end of an era. I know they have already announced a SEBTP tour for next year, but I wonder if they are winding down as a tribute band as well. Perhaps they are retiring tour-by-tour, starting from The Lamb and working backwards? I guess time will tell. Obviously, I am hoping to be wrong, but even tribute acts don’t go on forever.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• One last time to see TLLDOB in its entirety in suburban Philadelphia at the Keswick Theater tonight! I’m looking forward to it! 😎

I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I caught Friday night's show, and it was fabulous! I had seen TMB play most of side-2 of The Lamb on their "extravaganza" tour a few years back, but this was the first (and expected only) time I got to see the entire Lamb show. So very well done on every level!!

• I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I caught Friday night's show, and it was fabulous! I had seen TMB play most of side-2 of The Lamb on their "extravaganza" tour a few years back, but this was the first (and expected only) time I got to see the entire Lamb show. So very well done on every level!!

Oh, they have never put on a show that I haven’t been blown away by! 😄 I counted in my head how many times I have seen them play the Lamb - tonight (technically, last night, since it’s after midnight now) was the 5th time. Every time outstanding! They were especially good tonight, like they wanted their last Philadelphia-area Lamb show to be a blinder, and it was! 😎

I loved both of the “Extravaganza” tours, and they were amazing! If they continue long-term from here, I hope they do more of those. If you haven’t seen one of their album-specific tours before this one, be sure you catch the SEBTP one! It’s outstanding! They sometimes do the “Black Show” in addition to the regular stage for this one! Not to be missed!

• Fantastic show last night at the Keswick.This is the 4th time I’ve seen TMB perform The Lamb tour, and last night’s show was the best yet. They definitely are a must see!

• Official Post

Fantastic show last night at the Keswick.This is the 4th time I’ve seen TMB perform The Lamb tour, and last night’s show was the best yet. They definitely are a must see!

i am really looking forward to see their last ever performance of that show on the Loreley in Germany this July. Haven’t seen this show for 11 years I think.

• If you haven’t seen one of their album-specific tours before this one, be sure you catch the SEBTP one! It’s outstanding! They sometimes do the “Black Show” in addition to the regular stage for this one! Not to be missed!

I've seen their SEBTP and Black Shows a few times before! I'd been hoping they'd eventually do another "Lamb" show... so glad I was able to see it!

• I've seen their SEBTP and Black Shows a few times before! I'd been hoping they'd eventually do another "Lamb" show... so glad I was able to see it!

Hopefully they aren't really fully retiring The Lamb tour. It's a fantastic show and keeps a good variety going in terms of their rotation of tours. Take the Lamb out of the touring mix and they're basically reduced to SEBTP and Foxtrot, along with the occasional Extravaganza tour. Actually the first time I saw them they were doing the Nursery Cryme Tour at Upper Darby. They were excellent but the show was very short (a little under 90 minutes). I probably would not pay to see that show again.

• Hopefully they aren't really fully retiring The Lamb tour. It's a fantastic show and keeps a good variety going in terms of their rotation of tours. Take the Lamb out of the touring mix and they're basically reduced to SEBTP and Foxtrot, along with the occasional Extravaganza tour. Actually the first time I saw them they were doing the Nursery Cryme Tour at Upper Darby. They were excellent but the show was very short (a little under 90 minutes). I probably would not pay to see that show again.

But you would get to hear them do “The Fountain Of Salmacis” again - that would be worth it! 😎

Well, that’s what I think they would gravitate towards if they are continuing longer-term, i.e., more Extravaganza-type tours. They have been very clear from the beginning that this tour was it for the full “Lamb” shows. I don’t think they would renege on that now.

That’s also why I opined about the possibility of this being a slow-motion retirement too - they have been at this for a while. (Of course, I don’t want that - I want them to just keep going and going.) I guess we’ll find out.

• I've seen the Musical Box 4 times and going on a 5th time next week; about the retirement, I think it would have to do with age.

I read a recent concert review in progressive ears saying that it is awkward to see a guy in his 50's (Denis) playing a supposedly "young" Real and looking way past the age for that role. It's about the image TMB wants to project and The Lamb show has lived its validity as an enduring tribute IMHO.

But I'll see next week in Halifax if they can still pull it off even with the age factor creeping in on them. Time is relentless and unforgiving.

• Went to see The Musical Box last week. And boy was I disappointed.

First, this was the first time that I have ever seen the Lamb lies down performed WITHOUT SLIDE PROJECTIONS. Incredible and no explanation was given why, I can only assume because the stage was too small but even so it was not really a lamb show.

And second, I was told that when the vocalist (Denis) does his interlude chats to the audience, the guitarists make annoying guitar tuning on purpose that was in fact very annoying.

And lastly, the encores were not like the original show (that I did see in 1974) but that's ok, I had never seen The Knife live. But in all, I think this was the last time I will go see these guys.

• I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Yes, I can imagine it's disappointing not having the slides, as they're an integral part of the experience.

All in all though, I would urge you not to write them off just yet. Apparently they're doing the Selling England tour next year...

I'm only saying this because I've seen them about 8 times and they've all been great.

EDIT Just reread your previous post, so I now know you've seen them before. So fair enough.

First, this was the first time that I have ever seen the Lamb lies down performed WITHOUT SLIDE PROJECTIONS. Incredible and no explanation was given why, I can only assume because the stage was too small but even so it was not really a lamb show.

And second, I was told that when the vocalist (Denis) does his interlude chats to the audience, the guitarists make annoying guitar tuning on purpose that was in fact very annoying.

And lastly, the encores were not like the original show (that I did see in 1974) but that's ok, I had never seen The Knife live. But in all, I think this was the last time I will go see these guys.

Oh, that must have been an unfortunate day.

I saw them plenty of times over the years and especially The Lamb was always astonishing. Needless to say that without slides it's not the same show.

I don't know what the Encores issue is - they do play the same ones as they did during the Lamb tour and of course they mix them. So it's quite possible you didn't get The knife in 1974 at. the show you attended.

... make tomorrow today!

• Exactly! A Lamb show without slides is NOT a Lamb show and that night was very frustrating and puzzling.

But I've seen the Selling England show before (twice) and that one did have the original slides (Moonlit Knight) and backdrops, this next one should be good, I might give it a second thought and not write them off yet.

Well, even Genesis themselves experienced all sorts of technical difficulties during the Lamb tour in 1974-75. They all remember how the slides only worked properly only on three or four dates of the hundred of shows they did. Tony had problems with his mellotron, Peter had problems with his costumes, etc. Granted, by today's standards, considering the price we pay, we are entitled to expect the full experience. But stuff always happens. All in all, I think that The Musical Box is known to offer spectacular shows. The guys themselves praised their work.