[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• Hey

anyone saw the image by Dave Kerzner of Genesis rehearsing back in January? If you zoom in, you see "New Duchess" displayed on his iMac.

So, let's start a setlist discussion

I assume they will rearrange tracks to a degree they haven't done before. First because they have to, but also because it may be interesting to do so. Curious how "New Duchess" will sound.

I won't list the usual suspects here, but these tracks could be in the set as well:

Duchess

Blood On The Rooftops

The Way Of The World

That's All

Abacab

Many Too Many

Your Own Special Way

Counting Out Time

parts of Supper's Ready

what do you think?

• I believe they will do an acoustic section, but that would be a collection of catchy melodies I think. Lover's Leap is an option, obviously FYFM, maybe YOSW and Ripples maybe. From he later stuff, Many too many could be included - Never a time unplugged?

Surprises from the early days? doubtful ...

• Ooh - first post from a long time listener & watcher.

Well I've bitten the bullet and forked out some hard earned cash for this so let's hope they are keeping an eye on this forum (yeah right!) - just in case though - Tony, Mike & Phil here's my preferred setlist. I've taken into account the fact that Phil will not be drumming and his voice may not be quite as robust as it once was and songs from previous tours so my suggestions are :-

(in reverse order - cos that's the way by brain works)

White Mountain

The Fountain Of Salmacis

Watcher Of The Skies (prob instumental)

Suppers Ready

I Know What I Like

Cinema Show

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

The Carpet Crawlers

It

Dance On A Volcano

Entangled

Ripples

A Trick Of The Tail

Los Endos

Afterglow

Undertow

Many Too Many

Say Its Alright Joe

Duchess

Keep It Dark

Mama

That's All

Tonight Tonight Tonight

.. and probably the other 80s/90s hits

That should do it...

• As Liverpool will be my first ever Genesis gig I obviously have lots of songs on my bucketlist. Thinking realistically though, I think the following may very well be in the running...

Watcher Of The Skies - Nic is gonna want to show off some of the older style drumming and where better than on this song. Phil needn’t do the vocals, we’ll do that for him. Opening track I reckon...

Cinema Show/Musical Box - I’m thinking that the older stuff will be served once more as a medley but this time they will rest In The Cage as that’s been done countless times. Or it will incorporate new elements.Really fancying Musical Box to make a return this time. Would love Suppers Ready but unlikely (and will get this at the Hackett gig anyway)

Abacab - I reckon this is a shoo in. Would also like to hear Keep It Dark.

Your Own Special Way - Phil did FYFM on his own tour. Would he want to revisit with Genesis? This sounds like the perfect replacement. Otherwise In Too Deep.

After that, it will be the usual suspects (even Mama which I really can’t see them dropping).

Then again, what do I know!

• When I saw the band play in Manchester back in '98 and they played the acoustic section (during which some nobhead walked up to the front of the stage, distracting the musicians and soon being led away by security) I thought "what a great idea; pity they didn't try it when Phil was in the band". Certainly some acoustic tracks would work well this time, given the lack of power in Phil's vocals.

• Have so much to say. First and foremost: I *wish* this band would grab the bull by the horns and embrace their heritage. They could walk out on stage to the thunderous chords from the start of Watcher of the sky and play the song all the way through and be proud of it but they never would (I think). They have always seemed to shy away and apologize for what they are. They play it safe every time, and the opportunities for doing otherwise are dwindling rapidly.

What I don't need to see from Genesis, now or ever:

A big blob of two minute snippets of classic songs

A big blob of snippets of other artists songs

Ten minutes of call and response in Throwing it all away (zee-za-daaaayy-ehay)

Tonight tonight cut in half

Mike Rutherford doing the we cant dance walk

They should play heathaze. It's phenomenal. They should play chamber of 32 doors. They should play the knife. They should play the duke suite. They should play the dividing line. Or feeding the fire. Or blood on the rooftops. This band is so much more than what they have presented themselves over the past thirty years but I'm certain they'll revert to type for this tour and play mostly the same thing which is fine for home by the sea or Domino but lame for the hits like follow you or invisible touch. I hope they will be brave.

• Where is this picture from Dave Kerzner showing “New Duchess”? Is this the Sound of Contact keyboard player that went to the 2007 New York Rehearsals with his friend Simon Collins? Was he invited again to these rehearsals?

Paul

Hey,

anyone saw the image by Dave Kerzner of Genesis rehearsing back in January? If you zoom in, you see "New Duchess" displayed on his iMac.

• Where is this picture from Dave Kerzner showing “New Duchess”? Is this the Sound of Contact keyboard player that went to the 2007 New York Rehearsals with his friend Simon Collins? Was he invited again to these rehearsals?

Paul

Hey,

The only photo I've seen is of Tony. It does appear to say New Duchess. I'd post the photo but I have always had trouble posting photos on this board.

• Agree- I wish they will get creative & not just say, “We did Lover’s Leap with Ray, let’s try that..” While Phil is weaker, vocally, they do have a potentially good band with Nic- maybe they will include a lot of instrumentals to give Phil a break. But hopefully, like you said, not all in one lump, but maybe in some interesting new ways..

• Official Post

My feeling is they will throw in 2-3 surprises

Could something like

Man On The Corner

Many Too Many

Blood On The Rooftops

For Absent Friends

The Lamia or The Light Dies Down On Broadway

• I think Yes is more your kind of band. Certainly Genesis stopped being relevant for fans like you by the end of the seventies. Which is fine; most big groups have fans who only dig one specific era. What isn't fine is when those fans presume to dictate what the band should and shouldn't play and what the band is and what it isn't.

• They have always seemed to shy away and apologize for what they are. They play it safe every time, and the opportunities for doing otherwise are dwindling rapidly.

Nothing wrong with fans expressing wish lists. Some interesting stuff in yours. But I'm surprised at the above comments. I think they have routinely done the opposite of shying away, apologising for what they are (when have they ever done that?), and playing it safe. Look at it from the band's perspective: more than any long-running band I can think of, they fully embraced who and what they are by focusing on their new work.

Sure, that approach immediately disappoints a portion of the audience but while I totally would always love to hear 70s stuff I respect their preference to mainly stick with what they've most recently done. That is what any self-respecting musician does. Look at Hackett - of course his Genesis-themed shows delight certain fans and I absolutely get that, but he fairly regularly releases new albums then proceeds to go on the road playing almost nothing from them, focusing instead on stuff he did 40 years ago. To me, that's the very definition of playing it safe, something Genesis didn't tend to do.

Where I think your thoughts intersect with mine is that this different line-up is an opportunity to mix things up a bit more. They don't have new material that we're aware of - yet, anyway - so can choose from their entire back catalogue. While I'd expect there to still be a trio-era focus simply because that represents the bulk of their career, I do share your hope that from across their canon they feel like doing some unexpected ones and I reckon there will be one or two of those at least.

Abandon all reason

• Look at Hackett - of course his Genesis-themed shows delight certain fans and I absolutely get that, but he fairly regularly releases new albums then proceeds to go on the road playing almost nothing from them, focusing instead on stuff he did 40 years ago. To me, that's the very definition of playing it safe, something Genesis didn't tend to do.

Sadly, I have to agree! I've given up going to Steve's shows, because I want to hear him do his stuff. But worse still, since GR2, and it's chart success, he has opted to tread a safe, and boring course. His last 3 albums are tedious. I am sure he COULD do better, but doesn't want to upset the apple cart.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Sadly, I have to agree! I've given up going to Steve's shows, because I want to hear him do his stuff. But worse still, since GR2, and it's chart success, he has opted to tread a safe, and boring course. His last 3 albums are tedious. I am sure he COULD do better, but doesn't want to upset the apple cart.

Exactly. I too have stopped going to SH gigs. I've been to 2 or 3 of his Genesis ones and for the various reasons I won't drone on about again they just don't do it for me. I still regard him as a solo artist, not a tribute act for the band he was once in, and as such I want to see him doing tours based on his own material. He says he will return to this, though there's no sign of that yet. Trick 45th anniversary tour for 2021, anyone?!

As you say, it could be argued that why would we want to see a solo-material tour when his recent output has been so dull? It'd be a fair point, but I believe there's an element of feeding off what you do. If he knew he was taking his new material on tour properly, ie not just one or two tracks bolted on to another Genesis-centred show, I think on some level that might spur him on to produce some new stuff more worthy of his career at its best moments, that he'd be eager and proud to take on the road. I always liked the distinctive aspects of his work but these last few albums have been generic and wishy-washy. The last decent gig of his I went to was around 2010-ish (?) at London Shepherd's Bush Empire and had a mix of some incendiary (then) new and mid-period stuff, a few old classics and a couple of Genesis numbers. That's the sort of show I want him to do, and I'd even be happy to lose the couple of Genesis ones.

But who knows, maybe he genuinely just has nothing left in the tank (I'm now pretty much convinced that's where PG is) although I want to believe your feeling that he's got it in him to be good again.

Anyway sorry everyone. So this Last Domino setlist, hmmm, yes (etc)

Abandon all reason

• It may not be that hard to surprise us ... we all have rather low expectations, haven't we?

Just hoping they throw in some unexpected stuff

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• Official Post

Nic has revealed bits and pieces about the NYC rehearsals and ...

• I'm surprised to hear about that track, given that Phil couldn't get behind it for the 2007 tour. It also has a fairly muscular vocal, which does not seem to fit his current ability.