[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• I expect shorter versions of the epics, to cover more material in their two hours, and also so there won't be many long stretches with Phil awkwardly sitting up front with nothing to do.

1. Abacab

2. No Son Of Mine

3. Land Of Confusion

4. Old Medley (with bits of Squonk, Musical Box, Supper's Ready, and Afterglow)

5. Follow You Follow Me

6. Home By The Sea (no Second Home this time)

7. Duchess

8. Misunderstanding

9. That's All

10. Firth Of Firth/I Know What I Like (same as 2007)

11. Mama

12. Throwing It All Away

13. Domino

14. Tonight Tonight Tonight (single edit version)

15. Fading Lights (abbreviated)

16. Invisible Touch

17. Turn It On Again

I figure this is realistic and should be around two hours. No huge surprises, but gives us Abacab, new stuff in the Old Medley, Misunderstanding, That's All, and Fading Lights, as changes from 2007.

• I didn't get into Genesis in the 90s, but my first experience of them was TIOA and Misunderstanding being in the charts in 1980. I was 7 years old but already into Queen and The Police, already familiar with some Yes and ELP as well as some jazz and classical. I noted "Genesis" as being a band to listen out for while I started collecting Queen and The Police. It would be around the time the Mama album came out that I actually started seriously listening, bought that and Invisible Touch when it came out by which time I was 13. Then I delved further back. A friend lent me Seconds Out, another lent me Selling England....and I was really hooked by the more complex music, fantastical lyrics, the instruments they used in the 70s, and the guitar work of someone called Steve Hackett. I started picking up all their albums, not in any particular order.....buying the cheapest used vinyl I could and very soon after buying the original UK vinyl pressings - I was lucky enough to live near a *fantastic* second hand record store which is still trading to this day. That lead me to investigate more prog bands including Yes. I really fell in love with the run from Trespass to Seconds Out. Never have been able to get on with ATTW3, I do really love Duke. To my ears, the style of composition and the instruments used in the 70s are sublime.

Suffice it to say that by 1990 I had UK first pressings of every studio album bar Nursery Cryme and FGTR, and similarly all of Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins' albums up to that point, most of Steve's, Smallcreep, The Fugitive and had started looking for Ant's work. I was aware of Peter Gabriel when Games Without Frontiers was riding high in the charts at the same time as the Duke singles but didn't know that that time he used to be in Genesis. I did have a dubbed cassette of PG3 in the early 80s, and of course for the whole decade nobody could be unaware of Mr. Collins.

• I think the most likely surprises are Squonk, Many Too Many, or maybe Watcher of the Skies. I expect one or more of those.

Other than those, I suspect most of the guesses above are going to be close to the mark.

Going from three recent Nic interviews, he's hinted that they rehearsed something really difficult (from the drummer's perspective) which they haven't played in many years...and decided not to add it to the final set.

I'm therefore drawing a conclusion that they tried Watcher and decided not to select it. Shame.

• Going from three recent Nic interviews, he's hinted that they rehearsed something really difficult (from the drummer's perspective) which they haven't played in many years...and decided not to add it to the final set.

I'm therefore drawing a conclusion that they tried Watcher and decided not to select it. Shame.

Hopefully whatever it was shows up on some DVD of the rehearsals, I thought I read on here they filmed them in case the tour never happened because of the pandemic.

• Hopefully whatever it was shows up on some DVD of the rehearsals, I thought I read on here they filmed them in case the tour never happened because of the pandemic.

They filmed the final "show" in it's completed form on the last two days of rehearsals when they were ready for the stage.

The earlier rehearsals, according to Nic, included up to 40 songs of which about 25 have made the set. I would imagine that several of the 15 songs that didn't make it were dropped quickly and not thoroughly rehearsed. While there may be footage of the rehearsals, we'd likely only see fragments in an extra on a disc.

• By the title of the tour, they will not skip material from Invisible touch (which is my least favorite album).

It's been a long time and overdue that they play:

Abacab, Dodo Lurker, Deep in the motherload, Burning rope, Eleventh Earl of mar, One for the vine, In that quiet earth and squonk. I could add more but those have a significant meaning in Genesis history more than just the 80's hits.

It would not hurt to get Duke's travels too :)

• I'm happy to say that I finally have tickets to my first show (Boston) in hand! Genesis was a band I always liked but inexplicably never had tickets to see.

I will probably fall into the minority here. I grew up in the 80s so I prefer Phil over Peter. Admittedly I'm not as familiar with PG's work as Phil's. I don't mind longer songs when I'm listening at home, but I'm not nearly as interested in hearing 20+ minute songs being played in concert as a general rule, regardless of who is on the mic.

That said, I'm not one who wants to hear only hits either. I would love to hear what I consider staples of the PC era: Dodo, Man On the Corner, Another Record, Home By The Sea, It's Gonna Get Better, Driving The Last Spike.

I know most of these songs don't fall into either of the camps that will be attending the shows. I'd honestly be happy to hear ANY of these songs played.

I saw Iron Maiden on their possible last tour 2 years ago and it was an absolute hitfest, with a few bones thrown out to the folks who were there from the beginning. I expect Genesis will probably do the same.

• Some of these statements by various band members don’t seem to add up. Nic says 25 songs made the set which would suggest a longish concert in terms of length, while Mike says he wants the show kept to 2 hours. Meanwhile Tony says given that fans want to hear certain songs (“the hits”) some “old dogs won’t be running.” To me this suggests a setlist that is heavy on shorter “new” songs and light on the classic stuff. Hope I’m wrong.

• I missed the 2007 tour figuring they would reunite sooner. A little bit of early, Ripples, Squonk or Dance on a Volcano, Deep in the Motherlode as a surprise song, Behind the lines, Turn it on again, That's all, Mama, Man on the corner, Abacab, are one's I would like to hear, I got ticket's, I'm excited here's hoping the tour gets the green light to come into Canada!

Some of these statements by various band members don’t seem to add up. Nic says 25 songs made the set which would suggest a longish concert in terms of length, while Mike says he wants the show kept to 2 hours. Meanwhile Tony says given that fans want to hear certain songs (“the hits”) some “old dogs won’t be running.” To me this suggests a setlist that is heavy on shorter “new” songs and light on the classic stuff. Hope I’m wrong.

I was just thinking about that... And at the same time, I would consider it a missed opportunity not to have any surprise (some long/older/never played songs), since it's probably their very last tour.

But maybe it's a matter of age (I mean Nic is very young and probably super enthusiastic, Mike may not want to try too much anymore, and Tony is maybe "over-realistic" ("There is no alternative, we have to play it, anyway it's my song"), and Phil natural positive attitude and energy is probably gone a little with all the troubles he has been through).

I hope they surprise us, the best they can !

• Some of these statements by various band members don’t seem to add up. Nic says 25 songs made the set which would suggest a longish concert in terms of length, while Mike says he wants the show kept to 2 hours. Meanwhile Tony says given that fans want to hear certain songs (“the hits”) some “old dogs won’t be running.” To me this suggests a setlist that is heavy on shorter “new” songs and light on the classic stuff. Hope I’m wrong.

I'd say each show is a two hour long version of one song, a different song each night. Hope I don't get the 'misunderstanding' night.

• I do wonder about the statements various members have made. Mike's "two hour limit" was imposed a year ago, and I do wonder if they might have stretched it to two hours plus an encore or two. Much of the info from MIke, Tony and Phil dates from over a year go when they did the Prog magazine interview and the BBC Radio slot. As far as I can tell the only one of them talking at length since they actually rehearsed is NIc.

Have we heard Nic mention IKWIL? I know it's a staple of Genesis concerts since the mid 70s but with Phil unable to do the tambourine dance (as far as we know), would the consider replacing it with something else? Maybe we'll get two old medleys....though I tend to dislike the medleys that might be the direction they take.

I suspect Tony is right about the majority of the audience expecting the hits....but they could drop a couple of them. I'm doubting we'll get four or five songs from Invisible Touch this time. And I do suspect we'll get shortened versions of some songs (Fading Lights).

Another point made above is that Phil probably won't want to spend long periods of time sitting doing nothing. We don't exactly know how mobile he is these days but even if he is able to drum for a few minutes (he's said he can), he won't be sprinting between the drum kit and the mic. That could mean shorter instrumental sections, or could mean he leaves the stage (as Peter used to) for certain passages. Or maybe he'll be bathed in darkness....still unanswered questions.

• I have never seen genesis live, Pittsburgh 12/13 will be my first and I would personally love this set list.

• Official Post

Pinsider

welcome to the forum!

about the setlist: I think a couple of those suggestions could be close to the truth. We will find out!

• Official Post

be amazing if we got a medly of Phil Collins solo stuff

A man can dream, 0 chance of it happening

You never know! They could have a couple tricks up their sleeve. I was talking with a buddy of mine who I’m going to the concert with, I said wouldn’t it be amazing if Peter Gabriel was going to be involved with the tour somehow but they’re keeping it secret?