[SPOILERS] GENESIS 2021 setlist discussion

• Dropping Los Endos is quite the surprise and I feel with two back up singers they could have easily tackled Entangled. Dropping Abacab is not a surprise.

• You know, they may not have done “Los Endos” simply because they didn’t have two drummers. Of course, the studio version of it is just Phil, but, in concert, it has always been performed with two drummers. Just a guess, but possibly a correct one. 🤷‍♂️

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• You know, they may not have done “Los Endos” simply because they didn’t have two drummers. Of course, the studio version of it is just Phil, but, in concert, it has always been performed with two drummers. Just a guess, but possibly a correct one. 🤷‍♂️

You might have a point there, still, a pity.

• you overlooked Abacab album, but as with Trick, nothing from it! ..2 of my favourite albums, but can't have it all and still some great songs played

Oops. Rectified that.

^ ^ Interesting breakdown.

Strictly speaking Duke should be 5 as Behind the Lines is a distinct segment paired with Duke’s End.

Also corrected that. You are right that they used a bit more of the Behind the Lines intro that what is in Duke's End.

As for Los Endos, the studio version definitely has drums plus percussion, so it would be difficult to do with just one drummer and have it sound right. Also, would we really want to watch yet another segment where Phil is sidelined? I agree that a song from ATOTT that Phil can still sing would have been preferable.

• As for Los Endos, the studio version definitely has drums plus percussion, so it would be difficult to do with just one drummer and have it sound right. Also, would we really want to watch yet another segment where Phil is sidelined? I agree that a song from ATOTT that Phil can still sing would have been preferable.

The part of your response that I put in bold occurred to me as well as to why they may not have performed it. That is, “Los Endos” was a song that really featured Phil’s (and Bill’s/Chester’s) drumming, especially live. It would have to be difficult to have a showcase tune for you in the set in which you could no longer actively participate; it would almost be cruel for him to have to go through that…

• All credit to a band who can leave out an album such as Trick! I’m struggling to think of a track Phil could sing now off the album. The quieter ones had that pure quality of his early singing style and things like Squonk really need power I suppose. I would have thought Dance on a Volcano would suit the lower range better and could have segued into something else maybe. But I’m in no way a singer and I’d defer to someone who is to know if that’s behind the album’s absence. I agree with the comments about drums being the issue for Los Endos and although I’m sure Phil would have taken pride in what Nic did with it, I’m not sure they could get the sound they would have wanted and also it’s very much a Phil inspired track reliant on his drive and maybe he just didn’t feel like watching others try to do it without him.

• Agree...los endos is one of my fave live tracks, but to play it with phil sitting and watching would have been weird.

Once Phil decided he wasn't going to pick the sticks up, then it was off the agenda.

Other than playing the start of Dance in the medley, not sure if would have thought of any other tracks. Shame, as Trick is the album that started this ride off for me!

• Yes, I'm certain the 'far away, away' bit in Fading Lights, is a callback to Ripples, with the 'sail away, away'.

I'm not certain of that at all! In their own different ways they're each about the passage of time but I don't think there's any link beyond that, and even that isn't really a link. (This is the moment where you produce an interview with Banks saying he wrote that line as a deliberate reference to Ripples!).

Abandon all reason

• Just an aside: the When in Rome concert vid was broadcast on Maryland Public Television last Friday night. When they went back to the studio for the “Time to raise money for public television” break they scrolled the setlist for When in Rome (pitching “Contribute $20 per month and get the concert vid”) and I was pleasantly surprised to note they included Stagnation as having been in the set. Someone at public television really knows their Genesis!

• At least they're doing the beginning of "Fading Lights", which does have a semi-callback to ATrick Of The Tail's "Ripples". So that album is very very briefly represented (barely).

I'm not certain of that at all! In their own different ways they're each about the passage of time but I don't think there's any link beyond that, and even that isn't really a link. (This is the moment where you produce an interview with Banks saying he wrote that line as a deliberate reference to Ripples!).

Actually, if we listen very carefully to the two segments ("far away, away", and "sail away, away"), the melody is... kind of similar (but the harmony behind is totally different, meaning different key and chords).

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But I don't think there is any link between the two either...

• Yea, I always hear "Ripples..." in the "far away, away"'s on "Fading Lights." I also wonder if they were calling back to "Supper's Ready" with the title; the jam also reminds me of "Firth of Fifth" in some spots.

At this point, the only thing I'd still change in the set is the acoustic "Lamb" in favor of "Lover's Leap." It still bums me that "Supper's Ready" is not popping up in any form for the final tour. Other than that, everything is flowing very well and clicking.

I'm glad "That's All" was finally brought back, that one went over big at the Garden and got everyone up and clapping.

One song I'm surprised never made it to the set was "In Too Deep" - for one of their most (over)played singles from their biggest album, it feels weird that it was only ever performed on one tour. I do know it almost replaced "Ripples..." in the States back in 2007.

• If we are counting "far away" as a quote from RIpples....then Mike's guitar riff at the end of the jam starts with three notes from Tony's keyboard solo from The Cinema Show. I don't really see either as a conscious throwback to earlier days.

The time Genesis did that was the lyrics included in the studio version of Los Endos. And perhaps Paperlate.

I agree it's a shame there's nothing from Trick on this tour. Los Endos, I do feel it would have been strange without Phil drumming. It's been a showcase for the double drumming for so long now. I'm sure Nic could have aced it...but it would have been strange. Phil and Chester knocked it out of the ballpark together. I do wonder if they could have done Entangled with the backing vocalists on tap.

What really surprised me was that there was nothing from Supper's Ready. Nic appeared to confirm that Apocalypse onwards had made the cut in several interviews, but now it appears that it was dropped quite early in rehearsals. Abacab we know was rehearsed up to the Autumn 2020 rehearsals and there are visuals ready for it, should they decide to slot it into the set. We've seen visuals for Jesus He Knows Me on the documentary too...so presumably that and Abacab were rehearsed and recorded during those performances that were taped in case the tour couldn't go ahead. Maybe we'll get to see those eventually on a Blu-Ray.

It's a fairly safe setlist. It's also a good setlist. The guys had originally talked about Nic giving them the chance to do some really early stuff they hadn't played in decades (Prog magazine interview March 2020) but they've since said they rehearsed stuff and it just didn't sound right - that seems to refer to The Musical Box, Watcher Of The Skies and possibly the aforementioned Apocalypse in 9/8. Shame. Damned shame. Opening or closing with Watcher would have been tremendous for Genesis' last ever tour....but then opening with Behind The Lines and closing with Carpet Crawlers is pretty awesome too.

• Maybe we'll get to see those eventually on a Blu-Ray.

Maybe, but I suspect you'll have to buy the standard DVD first.

Then perhaps they'll release the Blu-Ray at the same time as 'When In Rome' when Tony Smith needs another pay day? :rolleyes:

• One song I'm surprised never made it to the set was "In Too Deep" - for one of their most (over)played singles from their biggest album, it feels weird that it was only ever performed on one tour. I do know it almost replaced "Ripples..." in the States back in 2007.

Well, if you watch the documentary about the 2007 tour included in "When In Rome", Phil did try to get that song into the setlist.

I actually credit the overwhelming negative reaction on the old, official genesis-music.com forum when that idea was floated (i.e., the trading of "Ripples" for "In Too Deep" in North America) for that exchange never occurring. Someone who had some kind of connection to the band suggested in a post on the forum that the exchange might happen, and the list exploded in the most amazing and horrified way! ^^ It was nearly a unanimous (if not actually unanimous) outcry against the idea. Fortunately, it never happened. (I was relieved - that's for sure...)