Your favorite tracks on ... "Trespass"

• I would have been six.

It would be another eight years before I heard my first Genesis song - or at least heard a song on the radio that piqued my interest enough for me to take note of the band.

Interesting point. I think I first heard something by them that set my antennae twitching in around 1976. Either on the radio, or something I overheard my brother playing. If not recalling exactly when, I do remember the two things that captured my attention - the final section of The Musical Box, and Carpet Crawlers.

Abandon all reason

• Interesting point. I think I first heard something by them that set my antennae twitching in around 1976. Either on the radio, or something I overheard my brother playing. If not recalling exactly when, I do remember the two things that captured my attention - the final section of The Musical Box, and Carpet Crawlers.

Very fine things to capture one's attention! I was mesmerized by carpet crawlers also when I was little and first heard it. So much so that - pre-CD and mp3 - I made a cassette with a whole side consisting of some live version of CC off an Italian bootleg (I think it might actually have been the Seconds Out version) repeating over and over for me to fall asleep to.

• Official Post

... have listened to White Mountain again this morning. I must say, this belongs to the most underrated tracks of the band. What a great one!

• Official Post

I've voted for White Mountain, the Fountain Of Salmacis in a colder climate, as it were. It would've fit well ln Nursery Cryme except it would've been the only expressly cold climate song on it.

The Knife is where Genesis spent all the energy they could not spend on all the pastoral other songs. It makes it all the more enjoyable.

Looking For Someone is actually my favourite Trespass song. This is the song with the most hermetic and obscure lyrics pre-Lamb. Peter's acapella vocals deserve a special mention.

• Official Post

Being born in ‘79, I wasn’t a thought in my parents mind. This is always in my top two favorite Genesis albums. The other one may rotate out, but this stays top two. I love White Mountain, Stagnation, and the Knife. That pause between Dusk and The Knife before it barrels into the Knife’s intro is perfection. I could imagine people in the UK and Europe listening to this album for the first time being lulled into a peaceful trance by the closing notes of Dusk, and then hearing the intro to The Knife roar out from their turntable or headphones and being like, what the.....

• Dusk, Stagnation, White mountain

The knife would have been an obvious choice, but I like the short version more, so I have picked those three instead.

Dusk is also an all time Genesis favorite of mine.

• Official Post

Dusk is also an all time Genesis favorite of mine.

have been listening to DUSK a lot recenty. Indeed it's a nice track - probably underrated

• Official Post

Looking for Someone is great, very underrated song, in my opinion. I love the middle drum section. I agree with Martinus, the opening lines of the song without music are perfect. It’s like the band putting their stake in the ground after Genesis to Revelation, saying this is who we are.

• Looking For Someone is actually my favourite Trespass song. This is the song with the most hermetic and obscure lyrics pre-Lamb. Peter's acapella vocals deserve a special mention.

I find Looking For Someone fascinating for this exact reason. It's the only Gabriel-era track I can think of that seems to be written from the point of view of the singer, if you see what I mean. Other first person lyrics are in character. It's definitely more reminiscent of the Lamb lyrics, but again they're in character. It really feels a lot more like a Gabriel solo lyric. I'd love someone to ask him about it - why did he not write another song like that until he left Genesis? Etc.

This is assuming of course that he actually wrote the lyrics! I'd be very surprised if it wasn't him though.

• Like Wayne, I was born in 65, and like him, the Stones were at No. 1 in the charts, only this time it was ‘Get off my cloud’. My first experience of Trespass would have been around 78-79, when a mate introduced me to it. Couldn’t stand the album....couldn’t stand the band.....didn’t care for the cover. But time has a way of changing perspectives. In my Top 10 albums by anyone, now.

Viewed objectively, subjectively, upside down or from right to left, Trespass simply isn't a very good album.

Beg to differ. Easily Genesis' most underrated album, IMO, and one of my favourites. Subjectively yes, you may not think it's great, but you can't objectively say that it's not a very good album. There's no such thing when it comes to music. Everything is down to opinions, which aren't right or wrong.

Anyway, I picked Looking For Someone, Stagnation, and The Knife. All the songs are enjoyable to me, although despite loving Dusk at first, I've gone off it somewhat. I still enjoy it, but the lyrics don't strike me as much as they used to.

I loved Phil's version of White Mountain on the Trick of the Tail tour, he did a great job and it was the definition of a deep cut. Pity they didn't do more of this in later tours!