Absolute Peak of Genesis?

• So Awesome! So YOU were the rowdy one in the crowd!

That's me. A 14yo loudmouth.

That must have been incredible. What are your standout memories of the gig?

The closeness. I hadn't seen them until that tour, at another London gig in March (in an upstairs seat in a much larger theatre), but my brother had been to the 77/78 Earls Court/Knebworth enormo-gigs yet here I was in a 1500-capacity theatre and they were right there (although part of me slightly resented not getting a huge show with lasers and mirrors!). For this show I'd queued overnight for tickets a few nights earlier, a strange and memorable experience for a young teen so there was that too.

It was a big moment when PC walked over to the drumkit for the first instrumental break in OFTV, his first bit of drumming in that show. Just him walking over had people cheering and clapping during that quiet reflective passage! At the March gig it was pre-release of Duke so all that stuff was new to me, and by far the most vivid memory was the Duchess intro. It was unlike any Genesis I'd heard before and I was captivated, so at the Lyceum show I now watched them do it with the knowledge of how good it was, which was different but no less brilliant.

To sound slightly misanthropic about such a landmark gig, but just being honest, I was a little miffed that PC's between-songs script was practically identical to the March gig I'd seen. I'd understand that a bit more now I think, though. And I got very impatient at how drawn-out Joe was, it's not a song I like much anyway and it felt a bit tedious at those gigs.

But those quibbles aside of course it was exciting, still a top 10 gig of mine. Amazing to think that 40+ years later, I'm discussing it with fellow fans around the world and realising I was at a gig now regarded so highly in Genesis lore. I'll never lose the tingly feeling of that.

Abandon all reason

• Tough question.

Phil's peak (being a drummer) probably was in the very early eighties (having said that, I enjoyed his Big Band phase as well, but that's another story), being a vocalist probably 1983-1986.

Mike: Maybe 1977

Tony ... no idea

as a band it might have been the 1976/77 tours.

• sure most will have a different view. In theory for record sales and live shows..around 1986 would be the obvious choice

Personally, early 1980s were great, as they were playing with a bit more swagger and confidence, having had success in US.

• According to Phil, his peak as a player was the Lamb and the Brand X albums. Mike's is difficult to ascertain but it's fair to believe that it went hand in hand with Phil's. Tony has imo no peaks and no lows. He's just solid and doesn't really budge from his spot, both a good and bad thing perhaps.

• There are multiple peaks, depending on what quality you are focusing on.

Creatively they were coming up with great musical ideas as individuals around the Lamb. Creatively they were co-creating and co-writing as a unit best around 1981-1986. Live they were peaking in terms of overall energy and tightness around 1983-1986. In terms of Phil's drumming, he was perhaps more experimental in the mid-70s, but I actually thought his peak for me was the WCD tour - some appropriate restraint to serve the song best. In terms of singing, his peak power was 1983, but I prefer him also on the WCD tour, where he had more warmth and wasn't quite as shout-y. As mentioned, I can't really discern peaks for Mike and Tony, who have been pretty steady throughout.

• I saw them during the Abacab tour in Pisa and Rome and the WCD tour in Vienna, i don't rate the Abacab álbum high but the energy of the live performances was unparalleled and Phil retained his hunger to play drums. You are right, vocally he was a bit screamy but I found that was his trademark as a singer. On the WCD tour he had lost some power, would still sing great but was becoming too nasal for my taste, playing drums seemed like chores, in general though, they were a well-polished machine a bit too sleek for me, not the same level of energy and excitement.

• According to Phil, his peak as a player was the Lamb and the Brand X albums. Mike's is difficult to ascertain but it's fair to believe that it went hand in hand with Phil's. Tony has imo no peaks and no lows. He's just solid and doesn't really budge from his spot, both a good and bad thing perhaps.

I guess Phil should know shouldn't he?! The Lamb show I saw was certainly amazing. They were firing on all cylinders! The 70's stuff was very demanding to perform too.

• For me, unequivocally, 1977, with W&W and that tour. That was my first Genesis show I saw and it was tighter than (fill-in-the-blanks).... Having also played the W&W album in The Genesis Show, I can tell you that it's one of their most dense, complex albums, in terms of songs, arrangements, etc. That album stands up to any previous Genesis album.

• I’m gonna be really specific here. 1982. The Encore Tour. Phil’s voice was at its peak and the band was tight, raw, and willing to take chances, as evidenced by the arrangements of songs like FYFM and The Lamb. Oh, and it’s the last tour where they played Supper’s Ready in its entirety.

• I’m gonna be really specific here. 1982. The Encore Tour. Phil’s voice was at its peak and the band was tight, raw, and willing to take chances, as evidenced by the arrangements of songs like FYFM and The Lamb. Oh, and it’s the last tour where they played Supper’s Ready in its entirety.

And that complete SR is just stunning, the best live rendition of any I've heard. The setlist generally was a very good mix.

Abandon all reason

• Anyone know what the best recordings of that tour out there are? Anything like the Lyceum 1980 (I suspect not but thought I'd check!)?

I don't think there's any professional video footage of it, at least not that I'm aware of. I've heard some fairly decent audio of complete shows but can't recall which ones off the top of my head - I'll check later but they're probably fairly easily found.

Abandon all reason

• Anyone know what the best recordings of that tour out there are? Anything like the Lyceum 1980 (I suspect not but thought I'd check!)?

There are no soundboard or FM recordings from that leg of the tour (if that's what you were hoping for), but there is an audience recording from the Marquee Club in London, 27 Sept. 1982 which I have seen time and time again referred to as the best recording available from that tour.

• was at the Hammersmith show in 82, so would have to agree!...was pleasantly suprised when announcing SR, as a 10 year anniversary. Didn't think at the time, that would be last full outing

Was a great show with the band at full energy. Not forgetting Phil wearing mask and snorkel for Whodunnit 😂

• As has been said upthread, it's hard to pick a period where their songwriting/album-crafting and live performances were both at their peak. For quite a while their reach exceeded their grasp, and it took several years of playing some of their most complex pieces before they were able to really do them justice on stage.

My personal peak for their compositional phase would have to by 1973-74. There's a really good reason The Lamb and SEBTP consistently rank towards the top of most fans' best-album lists. But my favorite period as a live band was 1976-1977. I think the crucible of touring The Lamb really honed their chops, and the shows from the ATOTT and W&W tours have a loose, almost jammy feel that brings their compositions to life — without, as someone else said, the feeling of sloppiness.

The sands of time are eroded by the river of constant change.

• I don't think there's any professional video footage of it, at least not that I'm aware of. I've heard some fairly decent audio of complete shows but can't recall which ones off the top of my head - I'll check later but they're probably fairly easily found.

There are no soundboard or FM recordings from that leg of the tour (if that's what you were hoping for), but there is an audience recording from the Marquee Club in London, 27 Sept. 1982 which I have seen time and time again referred to as the best recording available from that tour.

Thank you both, yes I meant audio but I guess any quality recording audio or video would be nice. I used to download lots of bootlegs by torrent but haven't done that in years and don't remember downloading specific shows/tours. Is it known there are no soundboard recordings of this tour, or just that they haven't been released/discovered? At any rate thanks for the info. Will check out the marquee club one to begin with.

• Will check out the marquee club one to begin with.

Good idea, I'm fairly sure that's the one I have and that Witchwood is right that it''s the best available. Side-note - I actually saw the gig listings in Sounds that week with the Marquee itinerary listing 'The Garden Wall' as playing that night. Saw it, and made no connection.

For anyone who doesn't know, the London Marquee was a famous club where many high-profile acts played in their early days. When Genesis played this gig (September...? 1982) its official capacity was 700. The gig wasn't officially announced as part of the tour, but as I just mentioned, for those sharper of eye and mind than I was, it was in the previous week's music publications as a gig by The Garden Wall.

Abandon all reason

• Good idea, I'm fairly sure that's the one I have and that Witchwood is right that it''s the best available. Side-note - I actually saw the gig listings in Sounds that week with the Marquee itinerary listing 'The Garden Wall' as playing that night. Saw it, and made no connection.

For anyone who doesn't know, the London Marquee was a famous club where many high-profile acts played in their early days. When Genesis played this gig (September...? 1982) its official capacity was 700. The gig wasn't officially announced as part of the tour, but as I just mentioned, for those sharper of eye and mind than I was, it was in the previous week's music publications as a gig by The Garden Wall.

I like that they used to do some smaller gigs back then, even when they were well established. The smaller theatre shows during Duke, the Savoy in NY during Abacab, this gig.... They even did one during WCD which from the boot sounded like a very different experience than the stadium show they had been doing. I don't suppose they would do a small gig nowadays, but I'm betting it was fun to attend.

• there are some boots from the Marquee gig, available on YT (orlando usually a good source)....you can some rather vocal crowd members deriding any numbers from Duke and Abacab, which is quite amusing...although probably not for Phil at the time 😊

• Official Post

there are some boots from the Marquee gig, available on YT (orlando usually a good source)....you can some rather vocal crowd members deriding any numbers from Duke and Abacab, which is quite amusing...although probably not for Phil at the time 😊

Haha. I remember Tabletop Genesis talking about how when they would do Say It’s Alright Joe, some crowd members would heckle them over that long visual intro. And Phil would be thinking, would you shut the bleep up, I’m trying to perform here. I guess there are some songs which the band is partial to, but not the fans necessarily. And vice versa of course.