The Last Domino? Tour: a Blu-Ray will NOT happen

• saying there will be no bluray is another way of creating demand for tickets right? im mean what kinda manager wouldnt collect recordings for band archive? and im sure the venue/foh guy has to make a copy of the screen output for their own archive.

• I don't know how shitty it is, or how much of a tease simply stating the fact they were being recorded is.

Well exactly, it's neither. That we are now on the 4th page of this thread - and no doubt it'll extend even further - is testimony to how whiny and entitled fans can be.

I think we all understand the desire for some kind of record of this tour and of course we can express that desire. But when we get to the stage of "apparently they were doing audio, not releasing it is SHITTILY TEASING US!" we are truly into the realm of the ridiculous and fruitlessly moaning. (And never mind the fact live acts often make regular, if not daily, gig recordings simply to make routine checks for tech, quality, errors, performance adjustments etc. "But if they've made them they can release them, they never think of us fans, IT'S SO UNFAIR!" etc etc)

I think this is also to some extent the result of being in an age where every single sodding thing seems to get recorded and end up on screens.

Abandon all reason

• I don't know how shitty it is, or how much of a tease simply stating the fact they were being recorded is. It's the band's choice. If they want to play the recordings backwards while burning incense and performing interpretive dance in Tony's front living room, that's their prerogative.

I would kill to see Tony interpretive dance.

• Well, since we're already on page 4, why not another post? ^^

I thought it was a shame not to record it originally, but, yes, ultimately it's the band's decision to make/release a DVD/BluRay of any given tour (whether or not one agrees with their decision). Both pro and con views on recording make sense. However, nothing's coming officially, and that's the way it is.

One of the reasons I thought it was a shame not to have more extensively documented a show or two from this tour because there were things that were uniquely excellent about it. The sound of the songs was really strong. Nic really gave a lot of new energy to the songs. When I first heard about backing vocalists on the tour, I was highly dubious. However, they really sounded good and they complemented Phil's vocals well. I even liked the acoustic section, and - again, at first - I thought I wouldn't like that. When I heard/saw it live, though, it was wonderful. In short, the band came up with a truly valid and good tour, despite the extensive obstacles in advance of it.

Another reason I was hoping for an officially recorded memento of this tour was the visual element of the show. Their tours, starting with "Wind & Wuthering" and doubly so from "Abacab" onward, were always outstanding visually (except "Duke" which was understated on purpose). Just as with aspects of the audio, the light show for this tour was also uniquely excellent. With their lighting array, they came up with a way to use the entire arena for the visuals instead of having them just up by the stage. One of songs that really employed it well was "No Son Of Mine" - the whole floor area of the arena was part of the light show. There were other songs that used the extended arm over the floor area well too. Stated more briefly, it was one of my favorite tours visually as well as aurally.

So, I fully accept that nothing is coming officially, but I still feel that that decision is a bit of a shame. These feelings are not mutually exclusive. Yes, I'll watch the videos on YouTube that some concert attendees were kind enough to record and upload, just like everyone else who wants to see them. However, I'll always have a little regret that there won't be an official professionally-recorded version of a show from this tour. Thank goodness for the memories from the show; those will last for as long as I'm here.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I agree with OneForTheVine, it’s a shame but it is what it is. I’ve already said I’m not sure if want a record of this tour given the vocals - they sounded MUCH better live than on YouTube. I agree wholeheartedly about the outstanding quality of the visuals and music. Having said that, I’m beginning to wonder if it will backfire with those who weren’t able to be there. If all we have are the YouTubes and maybe later some bootleg sound recordings, the received wisdom will be that Phil’s voice was a lot worse than it actually was. A carefully edited, professionally recorded CD from a few gigs would correct this. Some people have outstanding cameras on their phones and some of the videos coming out are exceptional In terms of looks but the sound recording of my a phone, or even a video camera, rarely matches the quality of the visuals and couldn’t do justice to the sound in a stadium. So whilst the decision is clearly theirs to make, I’d would be interested to see what could be done with the sound off this tour. Maybe one day someone can synch a soundboard recording to a YouTube video as these things emerge. Then again, the thing that sounded just as uncomfortable to my ears on this tour was Phil’s slightly odd enunciation of some words and slow pace at times and there’s not much to be done about that.

All in all I think they’ve made the right decision and, as others have said, I’m glad we got what we got, just sad for those who couldn’t see them for geographic or financial reasons. Literally, you had to be there and I count myself fortunate to have been able to go.

• Their tours, starting with "Wind & Wuthering" and doubly so from "Abacab" onward, were always outstanding visually (except "Duke" which was understated on purpose).

On a slight tangent, but even the trimmed-down 1980 show was still interesting, creative and lovely to look at. It had two really outstanding moments: "Outside the cage..." with the stark vertical beams of white lights creating a cage-like effect, and am I right in thinking it was the first appearance of the dramatic magenta backlighting in Afterglow? The ethereal green light worked brilliantly in the Duchess intro, as did the strobing at the first instrumental break in OFTV.

I'm a food fanatic and sometimes think the best way of testing a restaurant etc is to try the simplest thing to see how well they do it - eg just tomato, cheese and basil on a pizza, plain milk ice cream. If those basic items taste really good you can be fairly sure everything they do will be good quality. The Duke Tour stage show followed this principle - it was the most stripped-back basic show of the trio era, shorne of all fancy effects yet it still looked great.

Abandon all reason

• On a slight tangent, but even the trimmed-down 1980 show was still interesting, creative and lovely to look at. It had two really outstanding moments: "Outside the cage..." with the stark vertical beams of white lights creating a cage-like effect, and am I right in thinking it was the first appearance of the dramatic magenta backlighting in Afterglow? The ethereal green light worked brilliantly in the Duchess intro, as did the strobing at the first instrumental break in OFTV.

I'm a food fanatic and sometimes think the best way of testing a restaurant etc is to try the simplest thing to see how well they do it - eg just tomato, cheese and basil on a pizza, plain milk ice cream. If those basic items taste really good you can be fairly sure everything they do will be good quality. The Duke Tour stage show followed this principle - it was the most stripped-back basic show of the trio era, shorne of all fancy effects yet it still looked great.

Yes, I agree with everything you said here. I was trying to be brief in differentiating the visuals of the Duke tour; I wasn't at all trying to be disparaging of them. The visuals were great on the Duke tour; however, they were definitely more economical compared to those of the tours on either side of it. They employed a "less is more" approach. The visuals were more subtle, but still very effective.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I have a suspicion that in a few years they may regret not at least filming it properly. When the dust has settled, and they're well and truly retired...they may regret not recording it, just like they regretted not filming The Lamb or the Six Of The Best gig.

That said, it is entirely their decision. And maybe we will eventually hear their reasons for it. It's a shame because the show looks spectacular and any flubs could have been gently ironed out during the production of a Blu-Ray or even cinema film. But it's their decision, and one must assume they have good reasons. They gave us this final tour, which is far more than we could have hoped for a few years ago.

There is still the possibility, even if it's in a couple of years, of a live album. Some songs were reworked for this tour and are very different to any previously released or performed material.

• It's hard to understand why they didn't make a video recording, especially of the last gig. If they decided not to release, fine, their decision, but at least they would have the option. I know it would be a significant investment but presumably money wouldn't be an issue.

As an example, Kate Bush did record her 'Before the Dawn' gigs, then decided to archive the footage. We did get a live album though. As it's much easier to record audio a live album is always possible.

There's a full recording of the last Genesis gig up on YouTube currently - decent quality too - giving an idea of how a live album might sound. I guess an audio release would also depend on how willing they were to release the raw recording, or to go in and record overdubs etc. as necessary.

• The DVD of "When In Rome" contains at least one 'correction'. Phil made a mistake drumming during Firth of Fifth which is miraculously not present on the released DVD but is on audience recordings.

Nothing wrong with this, though wholesale re-recording like Gabriel did for his "Peter Gabriel Plays Live" is perhaps over the top. A live album could be made and if they feel a small number of corrections or overdubs are needed, so be it. A live album could also omit a handful of songs if they feel they're not desirable for release.

But ultimately it's their choice. I am sure that fans will gather together the best audience footage and edit together something. But there's no substitute for a pro-shot, multi camera, multi-track and pro mixed video.

• I have a suspicion that in a few years they may regret not at least filming it properly. When the dust has settled, and they're well and truly retired...they may regret not recording it, just like they regretted not filming The Lamb or the Six Of The Best gig.

Six Of The Best was filmed, by people that Peter Gabriel contracted to do it. Its not uber pro shot, but likely similar in quality to his recent youtube upload of the Shepton Mallet footage from 1982.

TGA

• Six Of The Best was filmed, by people that Peter Gabriel contracted to do it. Its not uber pro shot, but likely similar in quality to his recent youtube upload of the Shepton Mallet footage from 1982.

TGA

Whaaat ? Really !?

I know it's probably not going to happen anytime soon, but since I know it exists, now I have hope about a potential release... :P

• if no official release, then this multicam edited upload from Amsterdam, may be the best we will get!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

good technical skills in doing this....way beyond my level!

• ziggo dome has some crazy token system for buying drinks from the bar :P

yeah you could get all the videos on yt for the final show and do a multicam edit easy these days as the sound from each video will make syncing a cinch :) just need one of the videos to have good audio to carry the videos with bad audio