PETER GABRIEL - So Much - Track discussion

• Oof - what a song. The switch to the fully orchestrated brass/string section for the last chorus really got me.

Probably the most personal song from the album.

Maybe it's because I was listening to her yesterday, but the piano and voice melody reminded me of Tori Amos as soon as the verse kicked in.

Similarities aside, this song is obviously very special for Peter, and you can definitely hear it.

I love the mix, but I would like to hear the other mixes he mentioned in the video. I'd love to hear an orchestral version (maybe some pizzicato lines in place of the piano). The piano solo might also be very good to listen to, it would definitely match the intimate feeling of the song.

• That is awesome. It needed a second and third listen, but how wonderful is that? It will certainly be one of the best tracks on the record I am sure. I like it a lot! :thumbup:

• The lyrics are very moving, and the arrangement is beautiful, although definitely a song you need to be able to sit and listen to while doing nothing else.

I'm not a huge fan of the tempo-loose "drifting vocals" he does on much of this one, where the syncopation of his vocals seem to not connect to the tempo of the piano much, or connect very loosely-as I'm a fan of tighter phrasing between vocals and music-but that's just a nit-pick of mine really.

This is definitely a solid contender among his other "mainly piano" type songs, like Here Comes the Flood, Father Son and The Drop. Not my favorite that he's released so far, but still a good song. I have an iTunes playlist that I made called "Piano songs," which includes softer songs like these from different artists. So Much will definitely go on there too!

• Official Post

I really like So Much for its intense simplicity. Could be the fnal track on i/o.

• Hello, friends of the forum

When I heard this song live it didn't sound very good to me. Maybe it wasn't meant for a live performance.

Yesterday I listened to it quietly and I really like the song, it reminds me of Playing For Time.

I get the impression that PG has gone for simplicity in some songs.

And I agree, it could be the closing i/o...

• Hello, friends of the forum

When I heard this song live it didn't sound very good to me. Maybe it wasn't meant for a live performance.

Yesterday I listened to it quietly and I really like the song, it reminds me of Playing For Time.

I get the impression that PG has gone for simplicity in some songs.

And I agree, it could be the closing i/o...

Indeed. I agree that it may not have a very good "live performance vibe" about it. I suppose that's why he's played it sparingly on the tour so far. It's all good to have a couple quiet songs on the list-but you also don't want it to be SO quiet that it puts the audience (which honestly are filled mostly with Joe and Jane casual fan, who would find it difficult to stay engaged in a song like this) to sleep!

That said, I also agree that it would be a great album closer for i/o, much the way that The Drop was for Up.

• Although I do understand Peter's motivation t do something like this, it's not really my cup of tea. As suggested, it may end up as the last track on i/o and that's okay for me. Won't be among my favorites, nevertheless.

• A wonderful track. For me, it combines the strong elemets of "Flood", "Washing..." or "The Drop" and creates something new. Very reduced, yet so emotional. Surely there are more complex songs, but this is really touching!

• Official Post

We haven't got the deep dive from so much yet ? Will we get one ?

I assume he is just late again .... perhaps together with the alternate version? Would be in 6 days then....

• Je préfère le bright mix de Mark 'Spike' Stent (la basse est plus présente, la voix plus mise en avant, et la fin est magnifique ainsi).
    C'est assez étonnant, j'ai préféré le mix de tchad Blake sur les 3 premiers morceaux sortis et sur les 4 suivants je préfère ceux de Stent