STEVE HACKETT: "The Circus And The Nightwhale" (16 February 2024) - review online

• I listened to the song again and it's pitiful. No interesting melody, useless breaks, horrible vocals. In short, it's probably his worst song in quite some time.

You didn't feel the chains of the physical world being shattered, the universe opening up and darkness being obliterated by light?

• You didn't feel the chains of the physical world being shattered, the universe opening up and darkness being obliterated by light?

well, I wasn't expecting something like that ... but I read this is a concept album and for some reason I was expecting something fresh and new. Only to find out it's the same thing again we've heard for years ... disappointing.

• I wonder what Steve would think if he knew how a lot of the fans here talk about his recent work...

I imagine he must have a clue. But sadly, I think the relative chart success of the new stuff compared to the old will be what holds his attention, and keeps him on that path.
    And I get it. He spent years in the relative wilderness, while his old colleagues peddled stuff like shapes and IT and saw the cash roll in. Ultimately, he has bowed to financial pressure. Shame, but there you go.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I wonder what Steve would think if he knew how a lot of the fans here talk about his recent work...

The problem is with each album he overpraises his own work which leads to inflated expectations. Then he goes on tour and doesn't play any of it. So people have become more cynical and jaded about it rather than excited at new work.

• The problem is with each album he overpraises his own work which leads to inflated expectations. Then he goes on tour and doesn't play any of it. So people have become more cynical and jaded about it rather than excited at new work.

It's not a problem of not playing the new material live. It's mostly that the songs are poorly produced with - more often than not - lousy arrangements. There are some interesting melodies, but they're spoiled by the production and arrangements...it's a pity.

• It's not a problem of not playing the new material live. It's mostly that the songs are poorly produced with - more often than not - lousy arrangements.

Agreed re the songs, but FeelItComing raises an important point about the overheated bombast surrounding the new albums being followed by no meaningful attempt to take them on the road.

I get it, I get it. He is focused on touring Genesis material, with some classic solo stuff bolted on, that's his thing, it's what fans want. Who would actually want to hear a show built around Nightwhale and the previous couple of albums?

I think the point being made is that it's a pity for a musician to make new material then not give it any space on tour because they're focused on playing stuff from 40+ years ago.

Abandon all reason

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Whoa.

• You wanted a video, here it is

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I like this track, but the sound could be better and I agree - Steve needs a fresh sound / producer.

... there's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in

• More info from Steve

External Content youtu.be

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Steve being interviewed about the album (pt 1 of 2):

External Content www.youtube.com

I'm sure it links to pt 2.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Amazon Prime music are already steaming: People of the smoke and Wherever you are .

Yes those are the two singles.

It’s common practice to make those available on digital platforms once they are out

cheers

Christian

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• In my humble opinion, Genesis has never had a good album cover. The music from 71-77 captures my soul. The album covers are a major disappointment. Yes, otoh, are SUBLIME thanks to my boy Roger Dean!

While there were some really bad Genesis album covers, I think it's a stretch to say they never had a good album cover (see A Trick Of The Tail & Wind & Wuthering). As far as the Yes album covers go, the first word that comes to my mind is repetitive...

• While there were some really bad Genesis album covers, I think it's a stretch to say they never had a good album cover (see A Trick Of The Tail & Wind & Wuthering). As far as the Yes album covers go, the first word that comes to my mind is repetitive...

I lIke a lot The Lamb cover (very cinematic).