PETER GABRIEL - Live And Let Live - Track discussion

• RELEASE DATE: 2023.11.27 (Both Mixes) - Available at midnight localtime.

BRIGHT-SIDE MIX:
    YouTube Music
    Apple Music
    Spotify

DARK-SIDE MIX:
    YouTube Music
    Apple Music
    Spotify

CREDITS:

Words and Music: Peter Gabriel

Engineering by Oli Jacobs, Katie May, Dom Shaw

Additional engineering by Faye Dolle, Stefano Amerio

Assistant engineering by Faye Dolle, Dom Shaw

Orchestral engineering Lewis Jones

Orchestral assistant engineering by Tom Coath, Luie Stylianou

Pre-production enginneering by Richard Chappell

Produced by Peter Gabriel

Mixed by Mark 'Spike' Stent

Mastered by Matt Colton at Metropolis

Recorded at Real World Studios, Bath, The Beehive, London, British Grove, London, High Seas Studios, South Africa, ArteSuono Studio, Cavalicco (UD)/Italy

Cover Soundsuit by Nick Cave

Drums: Manu Katché

Snare Brushes Loop: Steve Gadd

Rhythm Programming: Peter Gabriel, Oli Jacobs, Brian Eno (Morph Kit), Richard Chappell

Percussion: Peter Gabriel (tambourine), Katie May (clay pot)

Bass: Tony Levin

Electric Guitar: David Rhodes

Piano and Synths: Peter Gabriel

Additional Synths: Brian Eno

Trumpet Solo: Paulo Fresu

BVs: Peter Gabriel, Melanie Gabriel, David Rhodes

Choir: Soweto Gospel Choir

Soprano: Linda Sambo, Nobuhle Dhlamini, Phello Jiyane, Victoria Sithole

Alto: Maserame Ndindwa, Phumla Nkhumeleni, Zanele Ngwenya, Duduzile Ngomane

Tenor: George Kaudi, Vusimuzi Shabalala, Xolani Ntombela, Victor Makhathini

Bass: Thabang Mkhwanazi, Goodwill Modawu, Warren Mahlangu, Fanizile Nzuza

Choir Solos: Phello Jiyane (Soprano)

Duduzile Ngomane (Alto)

Vusimuzi Shabalala (Tenor)

Fanizile Nzuza (Bass Voice)

Victor Makhathini (Male voice Zulu improvisations)

Phumla Nkhumeleni (Female ululating and chanting)

Musical Director / Vocal Arranger: Bongani (Honey) Ncube

Choir Engineer: Jacques Du Plessis

LVs: Peter Gabriel

Orchestral Arrangement: John Metcalfe with Peter Gabriel

From the New Blood Orchestra:

Violins: Everton Nelson, Richard George, Natalia Bonner, Cathy Thompson, Debbie Widdup, Odile Ollagnon, Ian Humphries, Louisa Fuller, Martin Burgess, Clare Hayes, Charles Mutter, Marianne Haynes

Violas: Bruce White, Rachel Roberts, Fiona Bonds, Peter Lale

Cellos: Ian Burdge, Caroline Dale, Tony Woollard, Chris Worsey, William Schofield, Chris Allan

Double bass: Chris Laurence, Lucy Shaw, Stacey Watton

Orchestra Conductor: John Metcalfe

Orchestra Leader: Everton Nelson

Sheet Music Supervisor: Dave Foster

Orchestra Contractor: Lucy Whalley and Susie Gillis for Isobel Griffiths Ltd

• Official Post

First impression (Bright SIde Mix)

It's the finale I wanted for i/o. In my opinion, it's the best track on the album and a highlight of his oeuvre. He gives the album a grand finale and he gives the song itself a grand finale - something the fantastic Four Kinds Of Horses somehow lacked ....

The messages are clear and simply up to date ....

lay the burden down, lay the weapons down

it takes courage to start to forgive

to be brave enough to listen, to live and let live

yeah yeah yeah

Martin Luther King is mentioned, the Elders ...

and it's the only real fade-out. And rarely has it been so fitting!

It's a goosebump moment for me, which he had already teased in the concert ...

• Wow, we're finally here...

I liked this song simply from the first time I heard it on the bootlegs on YouTube, it was so nice to finally hear the two studio versions. This time my favorite is the Bright-Side Mix.

I'm going to miss these monthly i/o releases (I really want him to continue releasing new and old unreleased material in future full moons.) Despite all the initial stress due to the lack of information, it was interesting to have something new every month, to see the reactions from each one... THAT'S IT. WE DID IT.

• Just heard this track. What a wonderful piece of music this is! A great song to finish this album cycle (with tended to be rather tiring for me at times, but I do see the logic behind that)

:thumbup:

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• Wow, we're finally here...

I liked this song simply from the first time I heard it on the bootlegs on YouTube, it was so nice to finally hear the two studio versions. This time my favorite is the Bright-Side Mix.

I'm going to miss these monthly i/o releases (I really want him to continue releasing new and old unreleased material in future full moons.) Despite all the initial stress due to the lack of information, it was interesting to have something new every month, to see the reactions from each one... THAT'S IT. WE DID IT.

Live and Let Live is beautiful. It’s quite emotional that the i/o journey is over — and it’s culminated in this great track. I’m going to miss the full moon releases as well. Peter has stated that What Lies Ahead will be on the next record, but as always, that could be near or far away. 2023 has been the year of Peter Gabriel, and we should treasure and be very grateful for the gift of i/o ❤️

• I've been waiting for this track since I saw him perform it on Milan.

It was worth every second. I love it so much. It moves me to my core and fills me with joy and hope.

My personal hope is that if he continues touring next year, and with people being more familiar with the song, everyone in the audience will follow with the "Couuuraaageee!" part and clap along.

So good!

• Official Post

This is the Full Moon Video

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This is the Full Moon Video

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

"[What Lies Ahead] gonna be on the next record..." 👀

• Yes, another great track. Good to hear there will be another record as well, but who knows when! "Hope to see you around soon" are part of the last line in the Full Moon Update, we shall see!

• Official Post

Yes, another great track. Good to hear there will be another record as well, but who knows when! "Hope to see you around soon" are part of the last line in the Full Moon Update, we shall see!

he mentioned something like this earlier - taking a break for 6 month and then continue with the releases of new songs. So obviously he thinks he's got enough for another album.

• This is a beautiful song! Perhaps not YET my favorite on the album...but with every additional listen I give it, it creeps upward. I feel that it definitely could potentially knock Love Can Heal and Road To Joy down from the top and take the #1 spot for me!

The message in this song is wonderful. A theme of forgiveness, there are some great lyrics in there. I could reference specific ones, but that would take too much time (while I'm at work) and, ya'll know what I'm referring to anyway! The african feel of this song is a fantastic and anthemic way to end off his album with a true showstopper-and it's also a nice return to the feel of some of his previous songs like In Your Eyes and Shaking the Tree, where that kind of sound is blended with his own style in a wonderful way, allowing even for some solo freestyling towards the end, just like what we hear in In Your Eyes!

Regarding the mixes, I prefer the bright-side mix, simply cos it sounds a bit fuller and richer-the sounds are simply blended better, and I enjoy that PG's voice is more prominent in the first half. IMO a song like this one shouldn't sound edgy and 'experimental,' but rather full, bright and 'universal.'

Honestly this song hits a lot of the right marks for me; the rich and anthemic sound, the instrumentation and choirs, the energy and of course the lyrics all make for a memorable finale to a year of being introduced monthly to PG's new album! What a great one to end on...

That's SOME gushing right there...maybe this one already IS my favorite??? ;)

• Yes, another great track. Good to hear there will be another record as well, but who knows when! "Hope to see you around soon" are part of the last line in the Full Moon Update, we shall see!

If recent album release patterns hold, only 44 years until the next one comes out!

(As Christian says, I'm hoping he fires up the monthly releases again after his vacation/sabbatical.)

• Maybe the only I/O song with political lyrics (but not too much). :/

Agreed-and yes, not too much. It's actually right in keeping with PG's usual political message across any of his catalogue that touches on such things, like Biko-mostly about human rights and equality.

...I'd say Four Kinds of Horses comes close to being political-what with its talk of terrorist actions and motivations-but kind of...stopping just short of it.

• The only thing that I'm missing from the studio version is Ayanna's "To be brave enough to listen..." that sort of responds to Peter's verses. I'm sure it'll be on the official live version, but I would have loved to hear on the studio version as well.

However, the additional african chanting that wasn't on the live version (there was some, but not all that's on the studio version) is really nice to hear as well.

Everytime time the song ends, I have to start it again! It's so addictive.