TotW 01/29/2024 - 02/03/2024: GENESIS - It's Gonna Get Better

• You guys are aware that there is a long studio version, right? It's what the album version was edited down from. It was the B-side of the 12-inch single and (later) CD single of "Mama" (the long version that fades out some 40 seconds later than the album version).

To me, the long versions of these two songs are the real versions, and the album versions are just inessential extras.

I am aware and have the Mama CD single for that reason, but I acquired that much more recently so the edited album version is the one I listened to for many years. So my opinion of the song is based more on it than on the full version.

• 13 points.

I like the string sampling and I by the time the boxed sets were released, I was happy that the live version was included.

Also IMHO this is part of the "farewell songs", along with Fading Lights and The Final Curtain.

• following on from comments..had forgotten that the longer version was on the 12 inch Mama..do have it somewhere on vinyl and must dig it out. Do prefer the live version at the time...seemed to have a bit more going for it

• I think this track is better for the great atmosphere it creates rather than the actual song itself if that makes sense?

A good end to the album that couldn't have been placed anywhere else in the sequencing.

Not as strong a finale as the likes of Los Endos, Afterglow or Fading Lights though.

• Interesting. Means you rate this higher than "Mama" or "Home by the sea"

Honestly, yes, but it's subjective. Mama comes close behind (and objectively, in terms of musical arrangement, it's stronger). Then, That's All comes third.

The song part of Home By The Sea never felt that strong to me, I prefer by far the instrumental part.

From what I saw on Youtube, Home By the Sea seemed the weakest point of the setlist on the last tour to me, except for the lightning. Wish they would have chosen something else.

• Honestly, yes, but it's subjective. Mama comes close behind (and objectively, in terms of musical arrangement, it's stronger). Then, That's All comes third.

The song part of Home By The Sea never felt that strong to me, I prefer by far the instrumental part.

From what I saw on Youtube, Home By the Sea seemed the weakest point of the setlist on the last tour to me, except for the lightning. Wish they would have chosen something else.

I disagree. On the last tour, Phil was struggling a bit on HBTS, but Mike has never played better: an aggressive, very prog sound with a precise rhythmic work.

• I disagree. On the last tour, Phil was struggling a bit on HBTS, but Mike has never played better: an aggressive, very prog sound with a precise rhythmic work.

I agree. Mike was really a driving force on the last tour. He probably was better than on many tours before.

Nevertheless I was hoping for more deep cuts in the set - such as It’s Gonna Get Better ..

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Even allowing for lowering the key (which probably wouldn't have worked very well) this one would have been too challenging for PC.

you are right, that's why I wrote "such as". They always had the option to do something they did with The Lamb for other tracks also ...

cheers

Christian

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• On the last tour, Phil was struggling a bit on HBTS, but Mike has never played better: an aggressive, very prog sound with a precise rhythmic work.

I had forgotten about Mike's playing on the tour when I replied : indeed he played great.

But the transition between the two parts, from C minor to E minor, sounds strange.

Regarding PC, HBTS may have been hard to sing, but Mama was too, and on the latter I think he sang better : his "affected" voice made the song stronger and creepier, which was a very good thing.