9. 07 points - satisfactory - (1) 4%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

GENESIS - On The Shoreline

Year: 1991
    Album: B-Side / 1983-1997 Extra Disc / Archive #2
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Banks/Collins/Rutherford
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 4:50
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford
    Played live: never
    Cover versions: ?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: We Can't Dance is the longest single album by Genesis (by CD standards). However, there were two songs that didn't make it onto the album including On The Shoreline, which probably lost out because the "elephant sound" of the song had already been used on No Son Of Mine. Nevertheless, the song is extremely popular with fans and it became popular when it was released on the Earthrise II sampler. It was even released as a single in Italy...

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• It's not bad. I think I've never placed it on quite the pedestal I feel like I "should" based on how it seems to be generally regarded. I find it clunky or something. If it were down to a choice between this and No Son for the album, I couldn't agree more with their choice to leave this off. 10.

• I've always liked it and find it superior to many of the tracks that appear on the album. Slightly odd decision to re-use the 'elephant' effect, surely such a singular distinctive sound really only works once? Also I snigger at the rather clodhopping line "IT MIGHT BE BETTER!... it might be as bad." But those minor quibbles aside it's a good one.

Abandon all reason

• I consider this among the best Genesis non-album tracks, and also find it superior to some of the tracks that appear on WCD.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Not a track I knew, but on first listen, much better than No Son Of Mine (Damning with faint praise!) but while it's OK, I find Phil's voice somewhat annoying on it. Never a huge fan of his singing, TBH, but there's something about it here.........

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• This is one of those Genesis songs that when I listen to it, I think "That's pretty good" and then I don't listen to it ever again until the next time I am prompted. It's got a great vocal, great drumming, some chiming 12-string. OK, I don't like some of Tony's keyboard sound choices. It definitely could have been on WCD instead of Since I Lost You. And yet it somehow never lodges in my mind enough to want to return to it

• This is one of those Genesis songs that when I listen to it, I think "That's pretty good" and then I don't listen to it ever again until the next time I am prompted. It's got a great vocal, great drumming, some chiming 12-string. OK, I don't like some of Tony's keyboard sound choices. It definitely could have been on WCD instead of Since I Lost You. And yet it somehow never lodges in my mind enough to want to return to it

I prefer Since I Love You (the only song on WCD with an acoustic piano).

• Very similar to previous comments. I think it's stronger than at least a couple of the chosen tracks on WCD and it's one of their stronger B-sides, but it's far from perfect. I'm not a huge fan of Tony's keyboards on this, I don't like the doubling up of Phil's vocals (I realise something was needed; I just don't like what they settled upon), I don't like the bridge and the lyrics are clunky in places. But apart from all that, there is a grain of something that could have been really polished up if they had the inclination. To me it's in the guitar chords at the beginning and on the chorus - that's the hook for me and I would have much preferred more guitar and no "plinky tinky" keyboard noodles from Tony over the top; or alternatively something simpler / less intrusive. Just a couple of chords to build the atmosphere even, but of course Tony never retreats to the background and this is both the good and the bad of his work.

So, I like this track but with conditions. It's not strong enough in its current form for me to dig it out unprompted, but when I listen to it I find myself thinking, "blimey this could have been really special if...".

• I love this song!!!!

It should have been on We Can't Dance, it could be put either between Living Forever and Hold On My Heart or before Way of the World. It could be even set just before Fading Lights.

On the Shoreline is my favourite Genesis non-studio album song by far.

In fact I like it so much that I played it on my headphones when I sighted land from the Americas on my first transoceanic flight (I'll play it again on my first flight to Australia).

• Tony Banks in 2023: "One of my favorite tracks was On the Shoreline, which I was very keen to have on the album. A lot of people liked it. One of Mike’s children thought it was fantastic, and yet, Mike came back and said he didn’t want it on the album. Phil also didn’t want it. Being a democracy, we didn’t have it on, and we ended up having a couple of pretty weak tracks on there — Way of the World and Since I Lost You could well have not been included. On the Shoreline is a really strong track, and I think it could have been a hit."

• The song isn't that well constructed: it lacks arrangements and sounds too much like a "good demo". I'm not really convinced, especially as the synth sounds have aged badly.

• we ended up having a couple of pretty weak tracks on there — Way of the World and Since I Lost You could well have not been included. On the Shoreline is a really strong track...

I agree with Tony that "On the Shoreline" is a strong track, and that "Since I Lost You" is weaker. I do have a special fondness for "Way of the World," though, and would not have wanted it omitted from the album.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I agree with Tony that "On the Shoreline" is a strong track, and that "Since I Lost You" is weaker. I do have a special fondness for "Way of the World," though, and would not have wanted it omitted from the album.

Way of the World is another perfect song and it was right to feature Since I Lost You (it is a very strong song, but it's like comparing a giant with two huge monster giants like Way of the World and On the Shoreline) on We Can't Dance. What I wonder why it was not the same for On the Shoreline.

?(

• Way of the World is another perfect song and it was right to feature Since I Lost You (it is a very strong song, but it's like comparing a giant with two huge monster giants like Way of the World and On the Shoreline) on We Can't Dance. What I wonder why it was not the same for On the Shoreline.

?(

Can somebody help me with this. I've looked at it several times, and I can't figure out what the poster is trying to say.

• perhaps he's trying to say OTS should have been on the album?

A good track, and yes, should have been on WCD. 11/15....

Yes, what I was saying is that On the Shoreline should have been featured in We Can't Dance. I was answering to the comment of TB quoted by Phil Morris regarding Way of the World (another masterpiece) and Since I Lost You. I was also endorsing to Decomposing Man's defence of Way of the World from Mr Banks' comment while also defending Since I Lost You. To sum up: what I wanted to say is that all the three tracks (On the Shoreline, Since I Lost You and Way of the World) should have been included in We Can't Dance. And whereas two of them made it, I think On the Shoreline must be included.

• These were the comments I was alluding to:

Tony Banks in 2023: "One of my favorite tracks was On the Shoreline, which I was very keen to have on the album. A lot of people liked it. One of Mike’s children thought it was fantastic, and yet, Mike came back and said he didn’t want it on the album. Phil also didn’t want it. Being a democracy, we didn’t have it on, and we ended up having a couple of pretty weak tracks on there — Way of the World and Since I Lost You could well have not been included. On the Shoreline is a really strong track, and I think it could have been a hit."

I agree with Tony that "On the Shoreline" is a strong track, and that "Since I Lost You" is weaker. I do have a special fondness for "Way of the World," though, and would not have wanted it omitted from the album.