9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

GENESIS - Ripples

Year: 1976
    Album: A Trick Of The Tail
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Banks/Rutherford
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 8:07
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford
    Played live: 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 2007
    Cover versions: Anni Haslam

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: One of the pleasant surprises in the 2007 live set was without doubt Ripples. Many had not expected that one of the stand-out tracks from the Trick album would be played again on what was - at the time - probably the last Genesis tour. Ripples paved the way in 1976: Genesis were now in a position to produce the songs in a more compact way and to make them musically punk. Ripples contains "The Best Of Both Worlds", so to speak?

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• A highlight on Trick, maybe the highlight. A simple tale of relinquishing youth, shimmering verses with a slight hint of darkness, a lovely big chorus that somehow brilliantly sounds both shiny and melancholic, a great instrumental mid-section with some of the best guitar-keyboard interplay they ever did, with everything sounding both at cross-purposes yet slotting neatly together. Running through all of this is a slight feeling of tension which is very effective.

My understanding is that the verse/chorus parts are largely by MR and the mid-section is by TB. Do we know if the lyric is by either or both?

I have a lot of affection for the 1978/80 live renditions of this. The London Lyceum 80 recording is particularly good and for me is one of the best live versions of anything they ever did, they're all on top form and Stuermer is especially incisive in the mid section. It also has an emotional pull for me; it was a favourite of my schoolfriend Ian with whom I attended that Lyceum gig and who died just 10 years later, still only in his mid-20s. I always think of him when I hear this song, particularly that live version.

All the above make this a very special one for me.

Abandon all reason

• Beautifully written and poignantly put Backdrifter. A tough loss.

As for the track, it doesn’t really get any better and is always one of those top marks tracks for me. The writing and performance can’t really be beaten and everyone plays to their very best. If you isolate in your mind each player and then put it all together you can see how much they put into this and complimented each other. For Phil to produce this vocal performance on his first album as the band’s singer must have given everyone so much confidence. It also has the perfect balance of the old sophistication and imagination with a fresh, streamlined approach. I’ve never heard a bad rendition of this by them. Like Backdrifter I saw it in 1980 and again in 2007 and it always sends shivers down the spine. Somewhere I still have a cassette of the ‘From the Mouth of the monster’ live recording and Darryl really brought out the pathos of the solo. I also like Steve’s solo versions of this live. A genuine classic

• As good as it gets. 15/15. No brainer.

It's almost impossible to break down what makes this song great, as the answer is "everything", which isn't great for a discussion.

• This is one of their finest, without a doubt. I was so happy when they played this in 2007

Absolutely.

I don't know whether I'm making this up, but I seem to remember rumours at the time saying they had considered replacing it with Jesus He Knows Me.

Wow. What a change to the feeling of the setlist that would have been.

• Absolutely.

I don't know whether I'm making this up, but I seem to remember rumours at the time saying they had considered replacing it with Jesus He Knows Me.

Wow. What a change to the feeling of the setlist that would have been.

No, that was In Too Deep - they discussed to play In Too Deep in America instead of Ripples.

cheers

Christian

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• An excellent song from what I consider to be the band's best album, but I would actually rank the majority of the other tracks above it.

This one of those rare cases where I'd like to change something about a song, and know exactly what I'd change. Specifically, I'd change the last "sail away, away" of the chorus so it's not identical to the first one, with the last "away" going down rather than up from the previous one. (Hard to communicate in writing, I know.)

“When the waitress asked if I wanted my pizza cut into four or eight slices, I said, ‘Four. I don’t think I can eat eight.’” -- Yogi Berra

A soldier survived mustard gas in combat, and then pepper spray from the police. He's now a seasoned veteran.

• Fantastic track on a fantastic album. As with others here, for me Trick of the Tail is their best album, and Ripples is representative of the album as a whole. And even though the song is written from the point of view of a woman, doesn’t it apply to us all? We can slow him down, but we can’t stop Father Time, he comes for each of us. The guitar solo by Hackett is fantastic, I heard someone say once it sounds like he’s playing guitar underwater. I think of that when I hear it, unmistakably a Hackett guitar solo. A 15 in my book, deservingly so.

• The guitar solo by Hackett is fantastic, I heard someone say once it sounds like he’s playing guitar underwater.

The effect on it makes it sound like it's played backwards, but it actually isn't (based on something I read that one of the band members said about it).

“When the waitress asked if I wanted my pizza cut into four or eight slices, I said, ‘Four. I don’t think I can eat eight.’” -- Yogi Berra

A soldier survived mustard gas in combat, and then pepper spray from the police. He's now a seasoned veteran.

• The effect on it makes it sound like it's played backwards, but it actually isn't (based on something I read that one of the band members said about it).

Correct. It was done using a device called a "Synthipedal" or something very similar.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!