What was the first Genesis album you acquired when it was new?

• What was the first Genesis album you bought while it was still their most recent album? 40

1. From Genesis to Revelation (0) 0%
    2. Trespass (0) 0%
    3. Nursery Cryme (0) 0%
    4. Foxtrot (2) 5%
    5. Genesis Live (0) 0%
    6. Selling England By The Pound (2) 5%
    7. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (1) 3%
    8. A Trick Of The Tail (6) 15%
    9. Wind & Wuthering (0) 0%
    10. Seconds Out (0) 0%
    11. And Then There Were Three (2) 5%
    12. Duke (6) 15%
    13. Abacab (4) 10%
    14. Three Sides Live (1) 3%
    15. Genesis (3) 8%
    16. Invisible Touch (4) 10%
    17. We Can't Dance (8) 20%
    18. Live: The Way We Walk (Shorts and/or Longs) (1) 3%
    19. Calling All Stations (0) 0%

Just wanted to see how long some of the fans here have been around...

I started with DUKE myself.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

Edited 2 times, last by DecomposingMan ().

• Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 2 The Longs. Bought this in 1996, at a time I was 15 and had begun to buy CDs (a lot), this happens to be the most recent at the time. Next one was Calling All Stations.

• The first album I owned was And Then There Were Three. My brother gave it to me for my 17th birthday. The first one I purchased was Abacab. I saw them in Washington, DC in 1981 and that motivated me to quickly begin buying their older albums. Nine months later at the August '82 show in Columbia, Maryland I was singing along to Supper's Ready.

• DecomposingMan

Changed the title of the thread from “What was the first Genesis album you bought when it was new?” to “What was the first Genesis album you acquired when it was new?”.
  • The first album I owned was And Then There Were Three. My brother gave it to me for my 17th birthday. The first one I purchased was Abacab.

Based on your reply, I have changed the thread title to say "acquired" instead of "bought." Don't seem to be able to change the actual poll question, though.

So far, nothing earlier than ATTWT...

• Foxtrot for me. Got it the day after release as none of the local record shops had it in on release day. Still remember getting it home and being so blown away by side one as soon as it finished I put it on again and then again. I don't remember ever doing that with a new release before or since and of course when I eventually flipped it over side two was even better.

• I picked "And Then There Were Three".....but now that I think about it, I'm pretty I sure I bought Trick of the Tail before W&W came out. Can't change my vote.

Try it. I selected the "allow votes to be changed" option when setting up the poll.

Foxtrot for me. Got it the day after release as none of the local record shops had it in on release day.

Actually, your post about this elsewhere is what inspired this poll. You're the "winner" so far!

• Bought Foxtrot June of 1973 when I was 16. I knew nothing about the music or the band the first time I listened to it. I randomly played side 2 first and was pulled into the music almost immediately. I was completely blown away by the end of Supper's Ready and quickly flipped it over to hear side 1, which sounded equally as good.

• The question is still which album you acquired first when it was the most recent one? If it's about whatever old album you acquired first, my answer would be totally different. My dad had most of the 70s albums in his record collection, which is responsible for making me a Genesis fan in the first place. I got to hear Selling England a lot when I was really little, this was also the first album my dad copied me on cassette when I was just 6 years old so I could listen to it in my room. It was the beginning of everything and still my favourite album, with Firth of Fifth being my all-time ever favourite music piece. Other tape copies of all his Genesis albums would follow soon after.

However, acquiring in the meaning of getting an original record/CD/cassette/etc. would not start until I was old enough to spend money myself on it, which led to me buying CDs of those albums my dad did not own on records. At that time, The Way We Walk Vol.2 was the most recent album out there, it was not the first I purchased though - that was Duke. In 1996, this was not exactly the most recent one.

• TOTT. I liked the cover and vaguely heard a song from it on DLT evening show on a small crackly tranny. ( For any younger people , that's what we called a transistor radio) Other than that I had no idea what Genesis were like . Took it home. Played it on my Dad's stereo and was absolutely blown away. Stunned. I'd never heard anything like it.

• My first Genesis album was A Trick Of The Tail and I still remember that feeling of listening to it for the first time.

To follow on from that, I had heard Genesis played on the radio (usually Radio Trent's Friday night rock show) and so knew many of the songs from the previous albums and liked what I heard. After buying ATOTT when it came out I had to then buy all the previous albums and the rest is history.

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• An aside here: I first became aware of Genesis at the age of 12. We had moved from Alabama (not exactly a hotbed of prog rock) to Baltimore. There was a kid in my class whose name was Charlie Firth. My classmates called him “Charlie Fifth of Firth,” as a play on words (a nod to the song and a reference to a measurement of booze 😁).

• Official Post

That actually was We Can't Dance. I became a fan in late 89, around the "Another Day In Paradise" time. Was very excited when We Can't Dance was announced

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• My first Genesis album was A Trick Of The Tail and I still remember that feeling of listening to it for the first time.

Me too. My younger brother kept telling me to play "Trick of the Trail." I said "It's Tail." That didn't deter him.

The first post-Gabriel tour in support of that album was also my first Genesis concert attended. They played White Mountain, and Supper's Ready, which included slideshow-style images. Bruford was amazing as accompaniment on percussion. I was hoping he would join the band permanently.

• Invisible Touch for me. I was aware of Genesis from around the time of the Mama album, and was one of the 17 million people that bought No Jacket Required in 1985. I was eagerly awaiting the new Genesis album when it was released.