9. 07 points - satisfactory - (1) 5%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (1) 5%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 point - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

STEVE HACKETT - In Memoriam

Year: 1999
    Album: Darktown
    Working title: unknown
    Credits: Hackett
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 8:00
    Musicians: Steve Hackett, Roger King, John Wetton
    Played Live: 2001, 2002
    Cover versions:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: Steve Hackett's penchant for dark moods culminated in the highly depressive album Darktown. The conclusion was a mesmerising, darkly chanted reckoning for the whole album. In between, voice and instruments merge. In Memoriam is perhaps the perfect finale for such a dark album.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Darktown is probably my favorite SH album and In Memoriam is the perfect finale for this album.

13 from me.

cheers

Christian

• It's one of his very best albums, quite out of character in it's sound and style, and this track is one of the highlights. 15!

(Worth noting, Mae McKenna, sister/cousin of members of SAHB, was his support act in 1988, and her 2 albums from that era, Nightfallers and Mirage & Reality (the latter featuring Steve) are very good. She was a backing singer for many SAW acts, and did a lot of the heavy lifting in chorus's for some of their acts).

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• It's one of his very best albums, quite out of character in it's sound and style, and this track is one of the highlights. 15!

(Worth noting, Mae McKenna, sister/cousin of members of SAHB, was his support act in 1988, and her 2 albums from that era, Nightfallers and Mirage & Reality (the latter featuring Steve) are very good. She was a backing singer for many SAW acts, and did a lot of the heavy lifting in chorus's for some of their acts).

Blimey there’s a memory. She supported SH on his 1988 acoustic tour and was great. Saw them at the Cliffs Pavilion, Southend on that tour and met Steve afterwards. Mae had a fabulous voice. I was also of an age when her attire was quite persuasive too. Anyway…

To this song, it’s not my cup of tea I’m afraid.

• To this song, it’s not my cup of tea I’m afraid.

I know what you mean, but over time it became "my cup of tea". I did not like this one first, but that changed when I re-discovered this album a few years ago (it probably also depends on the mood you're in).

Worth 12 pts for me!

• An appropriate conclusion to DARKTOWN, to be sure, although I don't rank it highly among the album's tracks. I've never been a fan of Steve's pitch-lowered narrations, but this isn't one of his worst uses of it. The track could have been a couple of minutes shorter without losing anything.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

Help me out here, please.

SAHB? SAW?

I'm guessing SAHB might be Sensational Alex Harvey Band. No clue on SAW.

• Just played this on "the system!" - might be a 16! The ending guitar sound, which he first used on "Wonderpatch" (Live in Nottingham 1990) is absolutely superb, a Roland GR500 I think. Haven't played this album in a while, but am doing so now, and am reminded why it was almost permanently on in my car from 1999-2002! :)

Ian

• 10 from me, really like this and the album. A good musical palette in use and plays to his strengths. The guitar sound is unusual but suits the music, I’m hoping for more of that on his next album. A reminder of what he can do.

• This doesn't look right to me - the Album name obviously isn't correct, same for the Musicians line up. My CD booklet tells me: Hackett and King, with bass samples courtesy of John Wetton.

It's an outstanding track though, definitely a 15 in my book.

• This doesn't look right to me - the Album name obviously isn't correct, same for the Musicians line up. My CD booklet tells me: Hackett and King, with bass samples courtesy of John Wetton.

Thanks - corrected!

cheers

Christian

• That goes on a bit. 7.

Edit: really, like that could have been a couple of minutes long and been more effective, leaving you wanting more.

Yes, before halfway through I was wishing it was over. It could also do without the tedious faux-portentous spoken word stuff. So many of his lyrics are "this is all very significant" but in a really naff teenage poetry sort of way.

Abandon all reason

• t could also do without the tedious faux-portentous spoken word stuff. So many of his lyrics are "this is all very significant" but in a really naff teenage poetry sort of way.

I never thought of it that way, but I totally agree.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Just played this on "the system!" - might be a 16! The ending guitar sound, which he first used on "Wonderpatch" (Live in Nottingham 1990) is absolutely superb, a Roland GR500 I think. Haven't played this album in a while, but am doing so now, and am reminded why it was almost permanently on in my car from 1999-2002! :)

Just looked this up on Youtube, live version: Steve Hackett - In Memoriam Live (youtube.com) - And it is the same guitar used on Wonderpatch. I assume it's the GR500, no visible writing on it, but it seems to use a parallel port connector rather than a quarter inch jack plug, and the GR500 doesn't use a jack plug.

Ian