24, 25, 26 March 2022 | Genesis live in LONDON | reports

• Official Post

Photo by Grant Fuller

• Photo by Grant Fuller

That's a stunning photo (and it was taken during the song that will, more than any other, be my enduring memory of the show I saw: "Duchess").

If you had told me in advance of the tour that one of my greatest memories from it would be a video of the movements of multi-colored dots, there is no way I could have taken that seriously. However, after seeing exactly that during a spectacular performance of "Duchess" on this tour, it was truly one of the peak moments of the show. I'm glad that Grant captured a moment from it.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Yes agree it was so beautifully played and very different to previous live versions I had seen. When I first heard it on the Duke tour it felt like Phil was singing about the Duchess who was some fictional performer. On this tour it became a song about how he is now especially in this part:

"It wasn't so easy now, all uphill, and not feeling so strong
    Yes times were hard"

One of many highlights from these final concerts.

• all uphill

Huh. I never knew those were the words. Whenever I sang it in my head, or sang along, I'd have some sound alike words. "All a peel" (edit: or "I'll appeal", I think I had that in mind too) or something. If I ever consciously thought about it, I would have known that was gibberish and put "all I feel" or something, but I'd know it was a bit off. I just never bothered to check.

It's kind of nice I know now I guess!

• 100% agree....the "New Duchess" was a real highlight...really atmospheric build-up, and Nic's drums added a new power to the song that previous versions never had.

I agree. The version on the tour was absolutely superb. I especially loved the way they ended the song. Very powerful.

• That's a stunning photo (and it was taken during the song that will, more than any other, be my enduring memory of the show I saw: "Duchess").

If you had told me in advance of the tour that one of my greatest memories from it would be a video of the movements of multi-colored dots, there is no way I could have taken that seriously. However, after seeing exactly that during a spectacular performance of "Duchess" on this tour, it was truly one of the peak moments of the show. I'm glad that Grant captured a moment from it.

Totally agreed. This was absolutely a peak moment of the show for me, and I found it very emotional. Visually, the gradual emergence of what were almost fractal-like shapes and patterns in the opening section was perfect for the the ambient sounds, and it developed from there to match the song itself. A really strong moment, and for me up there with the best of the past.

Which leads me on, because you could make a thread about the other examples, e.g.:

Original use of varilites on In the Cage in 1981

The moving jumbotron screens of 1992

The mirrors, 1978

The "landing lights" of the Wind & Wuthering Tour

The groundbreaking projector screens on the Lamb tour

The fox's head, and later the old man costume and persona

The Watcher opening

Always strong creatively in their live presentation, right to the end.

• Totally agreed. This was absolutely a peak moment of the show for me, and I found it very emotional. Visually, the gradual emergence of what were almost fractal-like shapes and patterns in the opening section was perfect for the the ambient sounds, and it developed from there to match the song itself. A really strong moment, and for me up there with the best of the past.

The upward chord was a gorgeous rush.

At my first ever Genesis gig in 1980, Duke hadn't yet come out so I was hearing this stuff for the first time. The Duchess intro, with the band lit dimly by pulsating green light, remains a top 10 gig moment - of all my concert-going, not just them.

Abandon all reason

• That was my one niggle. OK maybe they can't fully duplicate the wonderful stepped breakdown of the original but I felt the DA-DA-DA-DAAAAAAAAAH-brrrmmm-tsssh type ending was a bit ham-fisted.

One of those agree to disagree moments. I thought the ending as played on this tour was rather dramatic.

• the DA-DA-DA-DAAAAAAAAAH-brrrmmm-tsssh

^^

I like the ending, but it's true it's quite common to finish a song this way. Besides, I love Guide Vocal, and I think that, for me, it would have been even better to include it with Duchess...

My regret is that they didn't choose to play both Duchess and Misunderstanding. I prefer Duchess, but I like the other one too, and I think it worked when they played it in Chicago.

• Steve thinks where there's life there's hope but the chance of a reunion, particularly now, is zero. Personally, I've never been bothered about a reunion, it was so long ago, Steve's band is doing a good job playing the older material, but the others have now left the stage. Some bands have continued touring since the 70s, but Genesis has been a stop-start affair.

• Can we just pause for a moment and recognise how there is no one else like Phil Collins and his arrangement.

The bridge into the Lamb was beautifully done and having watched the documentary the other day, they show a clip, where Phil brings up the idea and the raw arrangement he thought off.

It was a lovely version of the song and shows Phil is still able to create some of his best work even now.

My old man this morning was saying, that they should still write another album.

Drumming aside, Phils voice I feel wouldn't be good enough sadly, but I hope he will still somehow take some involvement into doing the things he can do should he choose to.

Such an under appreciated talent still to this day.