GENESIS - BBC Broadcasts - details, BBC archive info and evaluation

• Interesting. Fans always complain about stuff being available in digital format only and not on physical media (Flotsam & Jetsam for example). Now it's the opposite. BBC Broadcasts is only available on CD and vinyl and people complain it's not on Spotify etc. Fans are a strange species ;)

I'm pleased with the release. There are moments when you think "I wish that sounded better" and some tracks are missing but who would have predicted we'll get such a release a while ago?

• Very early days and I’ve only listened to the Lyceum stuff so far but very happy with that. Sounds is as good as I’d expected/hoped. I’ll have a good listen to that Rutherford solo but he can be a bit rough round the edges- not a problem, in fact it’s part of his charm, but I don’t know until I hear it if that’s all it is. I’ve got a lot of this stuff already but I’m very pleased with the package so far. Like most others here I’ll always want more!

• One thing I will ask is what does 2nd Home By The Sea sound like to anyone else. Specifically during Mike's guitar solo. Can't make my mind up if the CD is glitching, if there is a glitch on the recording or there was glitching as Mike performed the solo?

Gave it a listen, and I hear what you're hearing.

It sounds to me like Phil is either trying out some fills he usually doesn't play or (more likely) his electronic kit is mis-triggering in a couple spots, making some hits sound out of time.

• Official Post

Didn't Concord get the publishing rights as well as recorded music rights?

that’s the tricky bit - publishing yes if it is recorded music. And we do. It know exactly what they sold them. It’s most likely all albums and b-sides that were released previously in some form. But unreleased music? Doubtful. The BBC was licensed from … the BBC.
    but again - we only know the press release

• all 5 discs feel so random, it's a shame they didn't release 5 complete shows really, but something is better than nothing.

Unless I missed it, is Chester (photo) in the book at all?

• Official Post

We have now updated our evaluation of the boxset with a couple of things releated to the artwort and booklet, but also the content and a sound comparison

Genesis News Com [it]: Genesis - BBC Broadcasts - background info and review (genesis-news.com)

• that’s the tricky bit - publishing yes if it is recorded music. And we do. It know exactly what they sold them. It’s most likely all albums and b-sides that were released previously in some form. But unreleased music? Doubtful. The BBC was licensed from … the BBC.
    but again - we only know the press release

Hey Christian, I'm happy to be wrong so please correct me, but my understanding is, yes the BBC will own the rights to these sound recordings, they always have. But the publishing side that used to be Hit and Run now goes to Concord. Similarly any subsequent official live recordings would earn money for the owners of the sound recording *and* the publishers of the songs performed, which is now Concord for the Mike/Tony/Phil share..

• Hey Christian, I'm happy to be wrong so please correct me, but my understanding is, yes the BBC will own the rights to these sound recordings, they always have. But the publishing side that used to be Hit and Run now goes to Concord. Similarly any subsequent official live recordings would earn money for the owners of the sound recording *and* the publishers of the songs performed, which is now Concord for the Mike/Tony/Phil share..

Correct. You are talking about different things. Composers royalties, which goes to the owner of the published works (Not always, but can be, the composer) and performers royalties, which goes to the owners of the performance, which here is the recorded work. They are recordings of existing (published) compositions though, so unless Concord have waived those publishing rights in order to seal the deal, they will stand to collect that side of it.

Legal minefield, of course, the music "rights" issue. One example I know: Justin Hayward signed a terrible 7-year publishing deal with Tyler Music, Lonnie Donegan's publishing company (named after his wife's maiden name, Mary Tyler) while still an unknown. For 6 years after joining the Moody Blues, he was trapped in that deal, so got almost no proceeds from his songs as a composer, just the performance rights. He offered to buy Lonnie out, but ever the business man, Lonnie refused. Hence, on his appearance on the Lonnie Donegan edition of This Is Your Life (on Youtube, I believe) Justin extolls Lonnie's influence on the UK music scene in the 50's, finishing off with "great musician! Lousy publisher though!" with a wink to Lonnie.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

Hey Christian, I'm happy to be wrong so please correct me, but my understanding is, yes the BBC will own the rights to these sound recordings, they always have. But the publishing side that used to be Hit and Run now goes to Concord. Similarly any subsequent official live recordings would earn money for the owners of the sound recording *and* the publishers of the songs performed, which is now Concord for the Mike/Tony/Phil share..

Yes, but we don't what what Concord is allowed to do and what recordings they do now have in charge. In any case there are existing publishing deals with record companies. Royalties from that of course now goes to Concord.

• Ok, so my Disc one starts with Pacidy, followed by Shepherd. Assuming all copies are like this?

Also, the count in by Phil before Get 'em Out By Friday has been chopped out.

Is there a consensus yet if these session versions replace the best we have already?

UPDATE - according to a thread on SHF, North American copies have the error, UK/Europe does not

Edited once, last by TimD: new information ().

• Ok, so my Disc one starts with Pacidy, followed by Shepherd. Assuming all copies are like this?

Also, the count in by Phil before Get 'em Out By Friday has been chopped out.

Is there a consensus yet if these session versions replace the best we have already?

UPDATE - according to a thread on SHF, North American copies have the error, UK/Europe does not

Yes, mine does this, too. The CD text is wrong as well (the text appearing on screen showing the track name) displaying "Shepherd" while playing Pacidy (and vice versa). The CD text for Mama also displays as being from Lyceum 80. So, there are some QA issues.

Found a mostly positive review of the set from Paste Magazine: "Genesis Pull Off The Impossible With BBC Broadcasts: A surprisingly cohesive boxed set of live odds and ends reconciles the iconic English outfit’s two disparate legacies."

• My copy has finally arrived and although I prefer whole shows I think there is a nice flow to this box set. It's very enjoyable as a complete package.

The Knebworth 78 tracks sound better than any of the bootlegs I've heard. A massive improvement and I wanted to hear more. Actually the same goes for Knebworth 92.

When it comes to the Lyceum, I can't hear the distortion that others are hearing. It sounds good to me, and it's not going to be a leap ahead of the numerous bootleg versions particularly when we've already had the likes of the TM version for years.

The only track that sounded worse to me (but only marginally so) was Watcher of the Skies, but this boils down to the engineer's choice. Nick Davis quite obviously favours as much midrange detail as possible, whereas others have put more emphasis on bottom end and dynamics.

I really enjoyed it, way more than I was expecting, and I hope they release more. Perhaps KBFH reels next, or perhaps they could even be brave enough to do a Floyd and authorise the release of some of the better audience and/or soundboard recordings.

9.5/10

• One thing I will ask is what does 2nd Home By The Sea sound like to anyone else. Specifically during Mike's guitar solo. Can't make my mind up if the CD is glitching, if there is a glitch on the recording or there was glitching as Mike performed the solo?

Have listened to that solo a bit now. Sounds fine to me in that it is as played and was a rare moment of breaking loose a little bit. The guitar is good, rough and not too anchored to the beat which is how Mike wanted it I imagine. He’s a totally different player to Steve and it works well here (although I’d have liked to hear what Steve would have come with…). There is an odd half drum lick which I’m not sure was intended or perhaps was abandoned before it got going and it is a bit naff. It follows a really nice sort of shuffle with the beat a few bars before but this time doesn’t do anything other than provide a slightly jarring little skip which probably would have been better left out. Maybe a little error, perhaps starting to go somewhere and realising it wasn’t the right place, more likely just a slight improvisation which wouldn’t be repeated. But I like the slightly spontaneous feel to the section.

• Official Post

The set reached #3 in the official German album charts!

More info and chart entries in other countries

/ Genesis: BBC Broadcasts #3 in German album charts (genesis-news.com)