9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 point - poor - (1) 4%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

GENESIS - Feeding The Fire
    Year: 1986
    Album: B-Side (Land Of Confusion, Genesis Archive #2, 1983-1998 Boxset)
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Banks/Collins/Rutherford
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 5:51
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford
    Played live: ---
    Cover versions: ?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: Feeding The Fire was one of the more popular B-Sides of the Invisible Touch album. It probably was not catchy enough to be on the final song list, but it has a lot of energy and shows a tougher side of the band. Maybe that's why it fits on the Land Of Confusion single?
  • This was one of my absolute favorites from the first time I heard it, and it remains so. I found out it was on a Land of Confusion cd, along with Do The Neurotic, then asked for and received it one Christmas. This was pre-archive releases, and pre-"listen to anything you want whenever"-internet when you had to do some legwork to find rarities. It felt quite special to be listening to it, which no doubt added an extra layer of appeal. I find the music in the verses has a nice, rocky edge, Phil's voice and drums are at the top of his game, and the floaty bridge with the monotonous bass, shuffling drums, ethereal keyboard and melodic vocalese is just perfectly executed.

Tony's lyrics have one or two clunky moments, not untypical of course, but even these aren't enough to detract from the song in my eyes. 15.

• One of the longest Genesis B-sides, and also one of their best from the '80s. This was one of the last (possibly the last) of the new Genesis songs that I obtained on vinyl back in the day.

I have to wonder what specific things Tony observed that inspired the rather vicious lyrics. And I'm rather puzzled by the line about "poisonous flies."

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

• I appear to be a lone voice with one, but I have always found the love for this song baffling.

To me its shouty Phil at his shoutiest, the keyboard sounds at their worst, and the band generally at their most 80s, and not in a good way.

To be fair, I like the last third a bit more, when Phil has calmed it down a bit.

For me it's one of their worst songs of the 80s, slightly higher than I'd Rather Be You.

• It's a good song.

For some reason, the first time I heard it, I thought it was an out-take from No Jacket Required which was reworked with Rutherford and Banks.

Among the released b-sides from Invisible Touch it's definitely the highlight.

• I don't think I dislike it as much as you but share your bafflement over the praise it frequently gets. I re-listened to it the other day and remain lukewarm about it at best.

Abandon all reason

• It's a good song.

For some reason, the first time I heard it, I thought it was an out-take from No Jacket Required which was reworked with Rutherford and Banks.

Among the released b-sides from Invisible Touch it's definitely the highlight.

Similar to Phil Collins - Hang In Long Enough? :/

• Personally, I prefer Do The Neurotic. As did the band: it was a toss-up between that and The Brazilian as to which made the actual album.

I would have thought Feeding the Fire was more in direct competition with Land of Confusion for a spot, but I don't know what their process was for whittling down the options. I like DTN, but prefer Brazilian and I'm happy that made the cut.

• Maybe this song would have been rated lower had it been a regular album track. As a B-side it is a song that seems a little too good for a throwaway track and it shows some strengths that are missing on the album: real drums, a rock edge, angry lyrics. I guess I'm not the only one who feels IT as an album suffers from over-production and a slightly too synthetic sound, as well as a number of weaker songs, a little too much of boring lyrics, and a general lack of Genesis trademarks. In that context, Feeding The Fire (along with Do The Neurotic) hints at what might have been.

• Similar to Phil Collins - Hang In Long Enough? :/

I could see it more in place of I Don't Wanna Know on NJR, but it does have elements more familiar with But Seriously.

Maybe it's the dynamic change two minutes in to the quieter section and the drum fills that gave me Inside Out vibes.
    Maybe it's the intro "synth brass" sounds on keys that gave me the impression it was supposed to be Phenix Horns material.

• I like the edge in Phil's voice and love Tony's words... to my ears, it's crying out for actual proper heavy guitars in the verses, but that was never really Mike's style and definitely not during the IT era. Sacrilege I know, but I'd dial down Tony's digital synth brass. :-o Definitely feel the song has potential that's sadly not realised in the existing version. Could've worked well live. Works as a decent B-side. Not in the same league as Do the Neurotic which I have on my version of the album as the closer after The Brazilian.

• On a separate note I would have kept Do the Neurotic and ditched anything she does on the IT Album.

No issue having another instrumental element to a strong album, and ASD is the worst of the songs by far.