Your favorite tracks on ... "Abacab"

• Just gave it a spin as I haven't in a while, and enjoyed it even more than I remember. Captures the feeling known as "wistful" perfectly. I especially like the first chorus, as they are different from each other, the melancholy little piano fill that comes on after "put another record on...".

Agreed. I love the the floating feeling I get from the musical intro to Another Record. Also there is great piano and Ringo-type drum fills throughout the song. It occurs to me if the band had chosen to put the entire Dodo Suite on Abacab that Submarine would have transitioned nicely into Another Record.

• Official Post

41st release anniversary of this very special album. So celebrate and play Abacab at least twice today ;)

• as an impressionable teenager when this came out, it still rates highly for me, and a distinct slight change of direction. Still play on a regular basis, and not many tracks that I don't like....and think the closing 3 tracks are strong and often overlooked. The album version of Abacab is great and was even better live at the time.

still seems strange that didnt play any of the album on last tour, but then nothing from Trick either!

• Me And Sara Jane, Keep It Dark, Dodo/Lurker

One of my all-time favorite 3-tracks-in-a-row!!

Abacab was my 1st Genesis studio album, and as is often the case, one's first album by a band often becomes their favorite. 40+ years later, I still love it. There's still a lot of the older Genesis sound present in the new-wave/pop leanings, and maybe the best drum sounds from a Genesis studio album. Absolutely love Tony's synths on this one as well as Phil's wide array of percussion extras!

• Me And Sara Jane, Keep It Dark, Dodo/Lurker

One of my all-time favorite 3-tracks-in-a-row!!

Abacab was my 1st Genesis studio album, and as is often the case, one's first album by a band often becomes their favorite. 40+ years later, I still love it. There's still a lot of the older Genesis sound present in the new-wave/pop leanings, and maybe the best drum sounds from a Genesis studio album. Absolutely love Tony's synths on this one as well as Phil's wide array of percussion extras!

I'm trying to like this but it's not letting me so I'll say here that I like it

Abandon all reason

• I've always adored Like It Or Not. (Whatever Rutherford says about it.)

I don't know exactly what Mike said about it but I take it he was less than complimentary, rightly so, it sounds like a filler, IMO. Incidentally, it's the only song Phil sings poorly on the album, he seems distracted and he's a bit pitchy. Mike has written much better ballads.

• I'm trying to like this but it's not letting me so I'll say here that I like it

You see that smiley icon on the side next to the quote function? That's how you can 'love' the post or make it a 'champion' or 'laugh' at it or be 'confused' or 'cry' about it. See my reaction to your post above!

• You see that smiley icon on the side next to the quote function? That's how you can 'love' the post or make it a 'champion' or 'laugh' at it or be 'confused' or 'cry' about it. See my reaction to your post above!

Oh dear. We've succumbed to the tyranny of the candy-coloured heart symbol.

Abandon all reason

• It had to be done!

It's taking a bit to get used to, but overall I like the new appearance. Feels funny for the environment to change though

It’s just a major Forum Software update. We haven’t done this in a while. Please continue update discussions here:

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• For me, Abacab is the most important album of the band.

I'd like to push back against that actually, not because Abacab isn't an important album, it certainly is, in terms of importance though, I don't think it can be compared to the sense of uncertainty stemming from the lead singer's departure with the whole press basically delivering the band's eulogy, those who were around will remember that or even when the acknowledged driving force within the group leaves, leaving a bunch of semi-professional lads unsure as whether to continue or less. Trespass and Trick are certainly as pivotal as Abacab for the band, probably more in my view and I try not to be swayed by the fact that I actually like those albums, it's purely on the merits of importance. I will, however, say that Abacab, contrary to the other 2 albums, where they had to react to a situation of possible unraveling, was a conscious, voluntary choice to change things radically and although I don't rate the album very highly, I respect that.

Edited 5 times, last by Fabrizio ().

• Seems there are not many fans of the track "Another Record", but I am one of them. Pretty cool song!

Then "Me and Sarah Jane" and "Man on the corner".

As for "Abacab" the song, my definite version is probably the Wembley 1987 recording.

• As dodo said above, my favorite three are right in a row: “Me And Sarah Jane”, “Keep It Dark”, and “Dodo/Lurker”.

Having said that, I really like the entire album. The title track is great and was even better live. “No Reply At All” is poppier, but it’s still very good. “Man On The Corner” is more reminiscent of Phil’s solo work, but Tony’s playing makes it properly “Genesis-y”. “Who Dunnit?” always amused me (however, I still have occasions where I wish they had put on “You Might Recall” instead). “Like It Or Not” and “Another Record” always seem to get the most dislike from fans, and yet I really like both songs. It was a great album with a lot of energy with a band firing on all cylinders - a perfect way to announce a new direction in the band’s evolution.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...