9. 07 points - satisfactory - (2) 6%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

GENESIS - Calling All Stations

Year: 1997
    Album: Calling All Stations
    Working title: Katmandu
    Credits: Banks/Rutherford
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 5:46
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford, Ray Wilson, Nir. Z
    Played live: 1997, 1998
    Cover versions: ?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: That was almost 28 years ago: Ray Wilson became the new Genesis singer and the sound became harsher. Calling All Stations quickly made it clear what kind of album this would be - dark, unoptimistic, heavy. The song, like most of the others, suffers from a somewhat stifling fade-out, but remains one of the better moments on Calling All Stations to this day. Ray Wilson didn't play this track during his solo shows for quite a while, but it's now a regular part of his band live shows. He said recently: I started recording with Genesis, in 1996, for what would become their final studio album, Calling All Stations. When the writing process was taking place, I was always waiting for the Mama, moment. Mama being my favourite Genesis song, at that time. For me, the song, Calling All Stations was that moment.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Best track on the album, but like the Rover SD1 was the best car in British Leyland range, it wouldn't persuade me that the Allegro was a head turner or that buying British Leyland would be a good idea. One would rather quietly enjoy the SD1 for the occasional guilty pleasure. If you get my drift.

• Best track on the album, but like the Rover SD1 was the best car in British Leyland range, it wouldn't persuade me that the Allegro was a head turner or that buying British Leyland would be a good idea. One would rather quietly enjoy the SD1 for the occasional guilty pleasure. If you get my drift.

Drifting in an SD1? Certainly easier than drifting an Allegro! :)

As for this, best track Genesis had done since Mama, not potentially much of a compliment, but it is, cos it's a great song. I quite like most of the album as it happens, the best since Duke IMO. 14.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• While I generally like the album overall, this track is far from being one of my favourites. In fact, I've always found it quite curious reading the contrasting views of other fans regarding this song.

It has a jarring start, continues with this despondent tone, completely lacking of any melodious hook throughout its course and never rewarding the patient listener with anything I would describe as instrumentally adventurous or interesting.

I find it underwhelming but not unlistenable which is why it gets a 7 from me.

• Drifting in an SD1? Certainly easier than drifting an Allegro! :)

As for this, best track Genesis had done since Mama, not potentially much of a compliment, but it is, cos it's a great song. I quite like most of the album as it happens, the best since Duke IMO. 14.

I think I can continue my metaphor here.

190HP out of a v8, what a joke. It still had something but wasn't patch on what could have been. Rather like Calling All Stations. Mama in contrast saw them in a V8 with buckets of power and tons of class to boot, more of an Aston Martin.

• It's OK. I quite like the dark tone and harder edge. It reminds me how frustrating I found it that they didn't go further down that road on another album and explore a potentially more gritty Genesis.

Abandon all reason

• While I generally like the album overall, this track is far from being one of my favourites. In fact, I've always found it quite curious reading the contrasting views of other fans regarding this song.

It has a jarring start, continues with this despondent tone, completely lacking of any melodious hook throughout its course and never rewarding the patient listener with anything I would describe as instrumentally adventurous or interesting.

I find it underwhelming but not unlistenable which is why it gets a 7 from me.

This basically describes my own opinion on the track. As I may have mentioned before, hearing part of this track kept me from checking out the album any further for some time.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• It's dark and very strong despite the "fucking" abrupt fade-out. I have some reserve about the bridge in the middle (i'm not convinced with Bank's effects on keyboards). A solid 14.

• I gave this 9. It’s ok. I remember the first time I heard it and being impressed with the first minute or so and liking the darker sound and Ray’s voice. But there is something missing and that was the feeling I got from the whole album. It just lacks a bit of personality or soul, which Phil’s drumming and vocals gave them in abundance. Once I realised that if it wasn’t Genesis I’d probably never bother to play it again I never really returned to it much. (I have the same feeling about most of Mike’s stuff and some of Steve’s recent albums.)

As always - one of the strongest tracks on the album to open with but lacking something for me. If I’d heard it from a new band on the radio I’d have thought of was a good solid first record but I wouldn’t have bothered to pursue it. Great title though.

• I like this album, but this is only ok for me.

It's a bit plodding for my liking. It doesn't feel like there's a lot going on with it.

However, if we ever discuss One Man's Fool...that's a different story.

• I like this album, but this is only ok for me.

It's a bit plodding for my liking. It doesn't feel like there's a lot going on with it.

However, if we ever discuss One Man's Fool...that's a different story.

We will for sure ;)

cheers

Christian

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!